Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Dr Evil
    Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi folks. :D Today was a nice day, so I spend some time in the old garage. I thought I would fire up the old welder and play. I have never had success scratch starting without doing some damage to my tungsten tip. Can someone advise on scratch starting on steel? I don't have a foot option on my welder for starting.

Thanks

Machine is a Powcon
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Try using a small piece of copper to start your arc on instead of your work piece.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Hold your tungsten about 1/8" off the work with the cup resting on the work. Drag your filler across the work and tungsten to close the circuit for a split second which will establish an arc.
Dr Evil
    Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Well, here is the issue. I am using a standard welding helmet. I know, I know. Autoshade is
the way to go. :lol: I am really picky. :mrgreen: I don't like the green that is displayed via the autoshade hoods. I wish the mfgs could make an autoshade with no green in it.

Besides that, I tried copper. Of course this was 1 scratch, and I got the copper on the tip. Back to grinding.

I tried my friends Miller syncrowave and at least I could run a beed. (First time welding on aluminum) I think I need to move much faster or turn the heat down something to that effect.

Anyway, I will try the cup on the table and use the filler rod trick.

BTW, is it possible to not scratch start on DC?? can one use a hand or foot puddle to start the arc?? :?:

Thanks
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

If you have high frequency you can start an arc without touching the work piece.
Charlie
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

No offense meant what so ever but as a NOOB I have found (and been told by my teachers every day) SPEED KILLS.