Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cranetruck
    Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Im new at tig welding have welded Mig,stick,gas without any problems but I am having problems with the electrode burning,have tried lower amps makes no difference,Its an allmax 200 ACDC Pulse.Anybody with any clues appreciate any help at this time.Regards cranetruck
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

You should have DCEN or the torch connected to NEG.
Charlie
cranetruck

jtybt wrote:You should have DCEN or the torch connected to NEG.
Thats the way its connected

is your process selector set for tig? I talked with someone just the other day that had the same issue on a miller dynasty 200dx. they had to power down completely and then power up again to fix it....it seems they swapped the leads while it was on and it confused the machine. It didnt even matter when they swapped the leads back and forthwhile the power was on. it still melted the tungsten like it was on dcep.

that was a new one on me.

anyway, try powering down, read the manual for correct setup, and power up and try again...

and let us know what happens,

jody
cranetruck

I have turned it off but the current seams to be erratic as well.I Have been thru the manual reset all settings rechecked settings tried reducing the peak current as down as far as 0 then bring the back up in stages of 5 amps but nothing changes hence my appearance in the forum.
Thanks to anyone who has tried to help Regards Murray
Just a note The Allmax Tig is identical to the Longevity in a previous post Longevity Tig Welder Review
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Are you using pure tungsten? green band. If so thats probably the problem.
cranetruck

I'm tried using Lanthanated 1.5%,Thoriated 2% & ceriated 2.0% all 1.6 & 2 And they all melt the tip.
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

are you sure you're getting shielding? I've forgotten to turn on the gas a few times. that will ball the end right up and cover the area in tungsten deposits. and piss you right off, to boot!
cranetruck

Thats a good question I have a nice flame off the end of the arc and I changed nozzles as well from 7 down to 4 but still melts the electrode.
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Ditto... I was having major problems TIG'ing aluminum until I got the shielding gas flow right. My problem was, I think, too much gas flow, but I tried varying a lot of other things so some other things may have helped too. You will know if you don't have the shielding right if you are experiencing oxide film "skins" over your molten aluminum puddles. If you are doing it right all the aluminum you melt will be "shiney" and bright. Also I learned I can stick out the tungsten from the cup more, and use a smaller cup than I was too, so less heat is transfered from the ceramic nozzle to the tungsten, and also you can also see what your doing and hold the tungsten close to the work and more square to the work a lot easier.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

what material are you trying to weld?