Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

subwayrocket wrote:
TamJeff wrote:Alternately, I use a photo hosting site. The one with the least amount of advertising wins for the moment. I used to use photobucket, until it got so laden with advertisement that it would freeze my somewhat antiquated desktop pc. So, now I use imgur.com, which also has some relatively simple editing and linking features, along with a generous amount of free storage space.
I thought it was just my computer . Photobucket was great, while it lasted ...it slows up my computer too

Don't you guys use AdBlock???? I've been using it for years and haven't seen an ad in years, every once in awhile I'll be on someone else's computer, and they won't have it, and it's horrifying to see how many ads there are on so many sites... I'm amazed not everyone uses AdBlock, it's been around forever.... Just do a google search for it and pick the one for your browser (Firefox is the best browser but they have AdBlock for all of them)... It's free, installs super quick (it's just an Add-On to your browser), set it, forget about it... You'll never see a single ad again ever. The only time you ever have to disable it (it'll put a little red stop-sign icon on your browser menu bar for you to access their simple settings easily), is every once in awhile some pop-up functions of websites won't work if you're using AdBlock, so you just disable it for that site for that one function...

PS I use PhotoBucket and it works fine... I'm assuming it's because I'm not inundated by ads, I've never seen any ads on Photobucket, because, well... AdBlock.
Last edited by raticus on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

raticus, your gauge mount looks pretty good to me.

Hope the fairing stay/ gauge mount I have planned for my race bike looks half as good.

Kym
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:raticus, your gauge mount looks pretty good to me.

Hope the fairing stay/ gauge mount I have planned for my race bike looks half as good.

Kym
thanks MosquitoMoto, I can fabricate stuff pretty good, it's just my welding isn't very good yet... I like to build stuff, I hate buying anything that I can build myself, even if it costs me more to build it... The wife gets mad at me sometimes cause whenever she thinks of something she needs or wants to buy, I'm like, "I can build that!", which of course takes longer and costs more, but it's always better IMO.

So you race bikes eh? Road racing of some sort from your icon, small bore bikes maybe looking at your username?
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Raticus, we'll have to meet up some time. Whereabouts are you located?
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

raticus wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:raticus, your gauge mount looks pretty good to me.

Kym
thanks MosquitoMoto, I can fabricate stuff pretty good, it's just my welding isn't very good yet... I like to build stuff, I hate buying anything that I can build myself, even if it costs me more to build it... The wife gets mad at me sometimes cause whenever she thinks of something she needs or wants to buy, I'm like, "I can build that!", which of course takes longer and costs more, but it's always better IMO.

So you race bikes eh? Road racing of some sort from your icon, small bore bikes maybe looking at your username?
Hey raticus.

Sounds like we are kindred spirits; make rather than buy, fix rather than throw away. I get the feeling there are many people like that on this forum.

I have a lot of bikes but my race bike is a very modified Suzuki SV650/GSX-R hybrid. It's a 'ride a slow bike to learn to go fast' bike, slow as hell in a straight line but capable of big corner speed. So much fun. I live for corners.

I do all my own engines, all my own tuning and mods. The TIG was purchased so I could make more lightweight parts for the bike and repair broken parts, but it is fast becoming a passion in itself.

Sorry for the thread jack, folks...

Kym
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just to let all know,

Our webmaster says the photo upload thingy is fixed for now, and he's looking for some better code for it to simplify the process.

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

raticus wrote:Don't you guys use AdBlock???? I've been using it for years and haven't seen an ad in years, every once in awhile I'll be on someone else's computer, and they won't have it, and it's horrifying to see how many ads there are on so many sites... I'm amazed not everyone uses AdBlock, it's been around forever.... Just do a google search for it and pick the one for your browser (Firefox is the best browser but they have AdBlock for all of them)... It's free, installs super quick (it's just an Add-On to your browser), set it, forget about it... You'll never see a single ad again ever. The only time you ever have to disable it (it'll put a little red stop-sign icon on your browser menu bar for you to access their simple settings easily), is every once in awhile some pop-up functions of websites won't work if you're using AdBlock, so you just disable it for that site for that one function...

PS I use PhotoBucket and it works fine... I'm assuming it's because I'm not inundated by ads, I've never seen any ads on Photobucket, because, well... AdBlock.
Yes, I use adblock and it works fine but they have done something to photobucket that is not friendly with my older desktop that is by now, 9 years old. It could likely use more RAM, but I don't really want to sink any money into this machine. I have no issues with imgur. I only use the internet from my desktop pc at home. Also, I only use Linux OS. Maybe I have not optimized that but I just don't have the interest in the internet so much anymore in which to fiddle with it.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:33 pm

ritzblitz wrote:Cool thread.

I don't have any pictures of the finished product, but here's one my friend secretly took when I was fixing an exhaust manifold for him.
The previous owner ran it with a busted engine mount. It had an annular crack which I tried fixing up. It was tough access but it will do... I can edit this when he glass beads and paints the part for a finished product picture.
This is the first 'job' I got to do with my new welder :)
I've been about your new welder. How is it working for you? Preformance wise, and what type of machine is it.
PFL
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Had to repair a small cast Aluminum part recently ...it was pretty difficult going but I got it done.
This week I went over the scrapyard, I figured i'd grab some scrap cast Alum parts, break them, then practice welding
them back together. It's not pretty but I had fun practicing on it...also took a quick video trying to break the weld.
----------------------
Broke a piece in half
Broke a piece in half
1CrackedHousing.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Cleaned it up and clamped it
Cleaned it up and clamped it
2CleanedUp-andFitted.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Put a few tacks in
Put a few tacks in
3TackedUp.jpg (55.69 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Finished ...gonna smash it now
Finished ...gonna smash it now
4WeldedHousing.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Video of sledge hammering it v
https://youtu.be/-DSUUoJY59c
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

There is something satisfying about a bit of 'percussive maintenance', or getting to beat the ever loving snot out of something in the name of testing!

Congrats on your welds holding up better than the base material, during your destructive tests, as well.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

By George I think he got it.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

Discovered a badly cracked weld in one of my under tray boxes, I found it when all my tie down gear for my ute(tray back mini truck) got soaked.
They've been under my ute tray for about 3yrs, Chinese ebay specials supposed to be 1.6mm(1/16th) aluminum... more like 1mm
This is my first real bit of aluminum welding other than running practice beads on 3mm flat bar so yeah real noob at this!
My set up is Everlast 210EXT with a matching colour water cooler,
1.6mm lathenated, set to 100amps max on the panel, 150Hz feq with A/C balance @ 40, .8/3 seconds pre/post flow @7lt a minute, 18wp torch gas lens and a #5 cup (hope that sounds right)

Here's the offending crack

Factory weld... no wonder it cracked

Clamped up after cleaning up, ready to spot every 2"

A few close ups of my newbness

Yes dip dip dip that electrode :roll:

The finished job

Although its not real good welding it should hold better than the factory welds, i blew it out in a few places so had to go back over it to fill the holes :lol:
One thing I have learned from this is aluminum bead peaks are much higher than steel hence dipping the electrode trying to fix the holes and I had to put a lot more heat to remelt the bead which leaves them very flat looking.

Hints are more than welcome!
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Started fabricating a new sanitation cart for one of our product fillers. 1/16" wall 304L tube

Update-9/11 added finished photo
Attachments
IMG_20150911_233315677.jpg
IMG_20150911_233315677.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
IMG_20150908_221853329_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150908_221853329_HDR.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMG_20150908_233043041_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150908_233043041_HDR.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Nice work, Looks great !

Rick_H wrote:Started fabricating a new sanitation cart for one of our product fillers. 1/16" wall 304L tube

Nice work Rick, is that two cups that seem to be levitating?
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Emergency patch
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.16 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.29 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (176.77 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Nice work. What is that part? Some kind of filler cap?

Kym
Poland308

Top lid for a sausage stuffing pot. It gets a rubber ring under the lugs and cams on to the pot. Then they use water pressure to push meat out of the pot into little smokies. 75 # at a time.

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

75# is a BIG little smokie...

Steve S
Rick_H

LtBadd wrote:
Rick_H wrote:Started fabricating a new sanitation cart for one of our product fillers. 1/16" wall 304L tube

Nice work Rick, is that two cups that seem to be levitating?
Yes they are welded to the frame, 2 fill tubes fit down inside them so they can be washed, sanitatized and dry.
Last edited by Rick_H on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

Poland308 wrote:Top lid for a sausage stuffing pot. It gets a rubber ring under the lugs and cams on to the pot. Then they use water pressure to push meat out of the pot into little smokies. 75 # at a time.
I love little smokies, especially when they are pigs in a blanket. Nice job...
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Poland308

That was my first patch on cast alum. The crack went all the way through. About 1/4 in thick. I ground out the crack all the way through and then drilled out the end of the crack. Seemed like forever till the bead kinda sank in and I got full penetration. Is that normal on castings?

Josh
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Nice work, everyone. It's nice to look into other people's welding windows sometimes. Appreciate seeing all of the contributions here.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

TamJeff wrote:Nice work, everyone. It's nice to look into other people's welding windows sometimes. Appreciate seeing all of the contributions here.
Agree that it is great to see everyone's work. For me, often inspiring too - shows me what's possible if the skills are there.

I had to Google 'little smokies' but I feel I am a culturally richer person for having done it...

Kym
    Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:32 am

Here's a picture from my first day of tig welding. It's a 3" v-band on a stainless exhaust pipe:

These next ones are 4" 304L stainless v-bands after lots of practice and trying different things, as well as a few tanks of argon:

A few pictures of the finished product: