Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Warrenh wrote:Image

These are some anodized legs for cable rails. They fit on the outside of stairs on a deck overlooking the beach. 1/8th stainless cable ran horizontally is used for pickets (for lack of a better term). Any suggestions for improving the weld appearance is apreciated.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Sure looks good to me. I know what a pain in the ass welding anodized is. Great job!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Warrenh wrote:Image

These are some anodized legs for cable rails. They fit on the outside of stairs on a deck overlooking the beach. 1/8th stainless cable ran horizontally is used for pickets (for lack of a better term). Any suggestions for improving the weld appearance is apreciated.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Sure looks good to me. I know what a pain in the ass welding anodized is. Great job!
Thanks.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 pm

BBQ build from old propane tank.
30" O.D.
Work in progress. Used Mig,Tig,and Stick
Using Everlasting 164SI & Lincoln 140ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Here's what I welded today. This is the third of four identical welds. The pipe was worn halfway through from rattling in loose mounts for years, so I cut 3 1/4" off each end, and replaced the 3003 with 5052. It will get new Stauff clamps, and be secure and tight for many years.
PBU.jpg
PBU.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

now thats what I'm talking about, beautiful field welds on shit material.
great stuff steve.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG (47.05 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Just a few things

Intake reducer .082 aluminum
Not sure what grade he ordered parts from China and it he couldn't get a reply. Welded it with 4043
Attachments
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG (38.04 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308

This is a 40 year old 2inch steam line that runs about 200 psi steam. It got a pin hole eroded in the side. But they need to run stem for a week or two yet. So patched over it till they shut it down for the summer then I'll cut out the tee. Going to replace it with a proper 90 and demo out a bunch of unused main line.

Not real pretty but it was wedged in a rack up about 30 ft in a ceiling. As soon as I lit up on it the hole opened up enough I could have thrown a quarter through it. Standard steam erosion from being a tight radius turn.
Attachments
IMG_2140.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG (45.18 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
IMG_2137.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG (32.35 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG (48.13 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

Josh

Poland308 wrote:This is a 40 year old 2inch steam line that runs about 200 psi steam. It got a pin hole eroded in the side. But they need to run stem for a week or two yet. So patched over it till they shut it down for the summer then I'll cut out the tee. Going to replace it with a proper 90 and demo out a bunch of unused main line.

Not real pretty but it was wedged in a rack up about 30 ft in a ceiling. As soon as I lit up on it the hole opened up enough I could have thrown a quarter through it. Standard steam erosion from being a tight radius turn.
Well done, you were lucky enough to be able to patch it up given the condition of the material
Richard
Website
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

5th Street Fab wrote:Stuff from this week
Hi mate, just came in to ask, if it is not hard, can you show us the accessories and tricks you use to get all those tubes straight and lined up, before you apply your 50$ welds on `em?
Poland308

Yeah I was worried about not being enough metal left to work with. But they said try so I tried.

Josh
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Made me an adjustable rest to prop my hands on when tig welding. It quickly attaches or detaches from my bench and so far I'm very happy with it. Made entirely from stuff out of my scrap bin except the bolt and nut. I would apologize about the mess, but just like desks a clean workbench is a sign of a sick mind :lol:
Really I just haven't taken the time to cleanup yet in this shot. Not a particularly difficult or original idea but it definitely makes my work easier.
Cheers
-EB
Attachments
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG (68.61 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

cherwolf wrote:
5th Street Fab wrote:Stuff from this week
Hi mate, just came in to ask, if it is not hard, can you show us the accessories and tricks you use to get all those tubes straight and lined up, before you apply your 50$ welds on `em?
Sure everything here is tacked together with a spool gun or pulsed mig. To keep all the pipes aligned I'll use a straight piece of c channel that I notch for all the perpendicular pipes to pass through.that way you know they're in line. Once everything is tacked strong I'll cut spacers to fit in between each pipe. Then I'll clamp everything down to the table with big pipe clamps and weld it all out in position.

Basically it comes down to securing it down and sequencing your welds so the shrinkage will oppose each other. Then let it cool before unclamping it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Poland308

Used my lathe to make a part
Used my lathe to make a part
IMG_0297.JPG (60.89 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
For my tractor.
For my tractor.
IMG_0298.JPG (56.34 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Sorry Josh but your tractor plans just got stolen. I've seen very tough designs to make and this looks fairly simple so when I get around to it-I'll make it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308

It's got more detail. It's a work in progress.

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Poland308 wrote:It's got more detail. It's a work in progress.
I'm just gonna assume you live or used to live in a farm. Whereabouts at in Iowa?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308

Around Cedar Rapids. Small town a few miles out. My brother in law is a farmer up in northeast Iowa it's going to be for him.

Josh
    Mon May 01, 2017 1:48 am

TamJeff wrote:A helicopter water rescue trainer for the local PD.

Some other odds and ends.
This is for HELO DUNKER school , this is for the first stage of the water training .this picture brought me memories :D .REALLY NICE WORK there . ;)
failure is a great teacher
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Duplicate
Last edited by GreinTime on Mon May 01, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime

Just a weld bench jockey :cry: :cry: :cry: ImageImageImage

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Poland308 wrote:Yeah I was worried about not being enough metal left to work with. But they said try so I tried.
I've had to do that here in a pinch to keep running or order materials. I blew through at 30 amps! Luckily I was able to make a patch and find some better material, but had to work fast and be ready to feed the filler.

Nice work, I know how frustrating that can be, especially in the ceiling!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

@GreinTime Looking good Sam, lots of progress from the beginning!! Nice work! How's your dad, don't see him post much?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
GreinTime

Rick_H wrote:@GreinTime Looking good Sam, lots of progress from the beginning!! Nice work! How's your dad, don't see him post much?
He's good, just busy with work. And thanks man!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Mon May 01, 2017 1:48 am

DSC04119.JPG
DSC04119.JPG (23.29 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
new to the forum and to welding in general(about 180lit of argon so far).. this is my practice 40mm aluminum pipe 2.5 mm wall thickes , basically a test post to see how to upload photos, hope it works :D
failure is a great teacher
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Hi, Bisdremis. Welcome to the forum. Your welds looks like theyre coming along nicely. Keep practicing.
Cheers
-E
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid