It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:25 am Advanced search

The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby electrode » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 am

I better go practice some more... :oops:
electrode
Heavy Hitter
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby Farmwelding » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am

electrode wrote:I better go practice some more... :oops:

As if you weren't going to practice more. No welder on here doesn't need more practice nor do they not practice.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby 5th Street Fab » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks guys. I don't have any settings really it's just a transformer syncrowave 250. Just 7-10 on the balance. I hate having a long stick out on aluminum, don't know why. It just takes hood time and learning to read the puddle. Anyways thanks for looking!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
User avatar
5th Street Fab
Workhorse
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby Jakedaawg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 pm

@5th Street Fab

I noticed in one of your pics an aluminum flange for an NPT plug. Is there a brand of flange or bung that you prefer? I am looking to source some to have in stock for adding drains to pontoons.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Jakedaawg
Workhorse
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Near Traverse City, Mi.

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby 5th Street Fab » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:01 am

Jakedaawg wrote:@5th Street Fab

I noticed in one of your pics an aluminum flange for an NPT plug. Is there a brand of flange or bung that you prefer? I am looking to source some to have in stock for adding drains to pontoons.

I'm not sure it's whatever my work has on hand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
User avatar
5th Street Fab
Workhorse
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 pm

I haven't posted a weld in a while, and this topic is getting buried, so here goes.

It's a socket weld (rare for me these days) done in the position you see it with all the crap in the way. 309 rod, as it's 3/4" stainless pipe to a mild steel valve.

socket weld.jpg
socket weld.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 195 times


Steve S
User avatar
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 8330
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Near New Orleans

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby exnailpounder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I haven't posted a weld in a while, and this topic is getting buried, so here goes.

It's a socket weld (rare for me these days) done in the position you see it with all the crap in the way. 309 rod, as it's 3/4" stainless pipe to a mild steel valve.

socket weld.jpg


Steve S

Nice socket weld! You used the gap-o-let right? That weldment doesn't look like it needs any mistakes. I wish I could do your job :cry: I had to weld a goddamned sink in a bar today...I hated it :evil: :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I haven't posted a weld in a while, and this topic is getting buried, so here goes.

It's a socket weld (rare for me these days) done in the position you see it with all the crap in the way. 309 rod, as it's 3/4" stainless pipe to a mild steel valve.

socket weld.jpg


Steve S

Nice socket weld! You used the gap-o-let right? That weldment doesn't look like it needs any mistakes. I wish I could do your job :cry: I had to weld a goddamned sink in a bar today...I hated it :evil: :lol:

Did you get some good payment or sneak a little while you were there though. If so then probably worth it in the end. I mean you could be 20 ft down in the mud and 3 feet of water figuring out where the hell that tape measure went.
Last edited by Farmwelding on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 pm

Gap-o-let? I just cut the threads off the pipe section you see (Originally a threaded nipple. I was expecting Rego valves, with FNPT both ends). I then loosely fit these ITT valves (this has a mate exactly opposite) for the standard 1/16" minimum pull-back for a socket weld, used my electrician's level to set the valves at 30*, and a quick tack on top. Squared them up with my TLAR (That Looks About Right), and welded them out.

Steve S
User avatar
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 8330
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Near New Orleans

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby Poland308 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 am

If it looks straight and level then nobody is going to check and see if it actually is.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2011
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

PreviousNext

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding