It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm Advanced search

The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: The what I welded today (/whenever) thread (pics please)

Postby 5th Street Fab » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 am

Cncdave wrote:
aland wrote:Those welds are looking pretty spanky there 5th Street! :)
these were all done with your technique of “Jam on the peddle, feed rod, move,wait,jam on peddle, feed rod,move, wait...etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No just consistent foot pedal add filler mover add filler move etc. I do use that technique but only when it's very thick and not preheated.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
5th Street Fab
Guide

Postby BigD » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 am

Moving my wastegate straight to the turbine housing for real boost control, the WG is so huge (V60) that I didn't have a nice way to dump it so I decided to do a smokestack. Can't wait to hear how it sounds (in addition to the 4" Ti side exit exhaust I plan to do)

r0nJRYI.jpg
r0nJRYI.jpg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 265 times

Also haven't done aluminum for a while so didn't want to get rusty. I'd been looking for a calf raise for my basement gym but haven't found anything reasonably priced that isn't shit. So I picked up a few pads, a pair of pillow bearings, dug through my metal supplier's offcuts for 1/4" tubing and made my own. Even put to use the spare shift knob I got with my 4 speed. I sorta expected it to fail as I use a lot of weight for calf raises but it's giving me faith in my work. The middle thigh pad post sees a lot of load and been serving me well

csC8JOL.jpg
csC8JOL.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 265 times

weI0oBW.jpg
weI0oBW.jpg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 265 times
BigD
Guide

Postby aland » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 am

Cncdave wrote:these were all done with your technique of “Jam on the peddle, feed rod, move,wait,jam on peddle, feed rod,move, wait...etc??

Cncdave wrote:Sorry, pedal.[WINKING FACE]

I understood. ;)

I'm going to give that method a try for a welding cart I am going to build.

As you jam on the pedal, I'm guessing you watch the puddle for it to get bright, and feed the rod, then move the arc forward, pause briefly and shampoo, lather rinse, repeat ???

I'm gonna practice on some scrap first, and will test various things out...the pedal seems better than using pulse, but I've seen people using 1-1.5 frequency on the pulse to get a similar effect.

My angle grinder died... which sucks. I bought one off ebay, but it hasn't arrived yet.

EDIT: Never mind, I found this video that Jody did. Seems Jody push the rod in as he pulses the pedal.

Alan
aland
Guide

Postby 5th Street Fab » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:04 pm

aland wrote:
Cncdave wrote:these were all done with your technique of “Jam on the peddle, feed rod, move,wait,jam on peddle, feed rod,move, wait...etc??

Cncdave wrote:Sorry, pedal.[WINKING FACE]

I understood. ;)

I'm going to give that method a try for a welding cart I am going to build.

As you jam on the pedal, I'm guessing you watch the puddle for it to get bright, and feed the rod, then move the arc forward, pause briefly and shampoo, lather rinse, repeat ???

I'm gonna practice on some scrap first, and will test various things out...the pedal seems better than using pulse, but I've seen people using 1-1.5 frequency on the pulse to get a similar effect.

My angle grinder died... which sucks. I bought one off ebay, but it hasn't arrived yet.

EDIT: Never mind, I found this video that Jody did. Seems Jody push the rod in as he pulses the pedal.

Alan
Ya kinda like that. With aluminum you're adding quite a bit of filler. I step on the pedal and start adding filler until the puddle is as wide as I like then taper off on the pedal while still adding filler until the puddle is calm then rinse and repeat. It all takes less then a second so it takes a bit of practice

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
5th Street Fab
Guide

Postby weldyM » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 am

Just messin around with some stainless
Attachments
sq1920 20180119_134513.jpg
sq1920 20180119_134513.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 112 times
weldyM

Postby tungstendipper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 am

Look'n good Billy Ray.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter
3 old socks
tungstendipper
Guide

Previous

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding