Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bingo
    Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Congrats poland308 on making a test! Iv done my fair share of r stamp work and I'm always amazed on how much paper is involved.
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Picked this little job up yesterday. Delivered today. Everything went just as planned which was nice since it usually doesn't go that way for me. Especially on aluminum. It was very dirty and oily but it cleaned up good. It's an oil pan for chevy aveo. I didn't think to grind off the weld where the plug goes back in but the mechanic said it was fine. Had a little porosity at the starts but after I ground it out the next weld was fine.
Attachments
Stop drilled
Stop drilled
IMG_1010.JPG (25.22 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Ground out with the new dremel I haven't gotten to use yet!!
Ground out with the new dremel I haven't gotten to use yet!!
IMG_1011.JPG (37.38 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Finished up
Finished up
IMG_1012.JPG (30.16 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Bingo

Tig/stick 14" pipe tie-ins took a picture just off the bottom .
Attachments
IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG (109.5 KiB) Viewed 2451 times

Bingo wrote:Tig/stick 14" pipe tie-ins took a picture just off the bottom .
That looks nice, way to get it done
Richard
Website
Bingo

thank you sir.A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while !
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

First bends with the new bender! Image

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I've seen those benders on CL and thought they looked real good for the money. How are they?
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

What brand bender is that?
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

GreinTime wrote:First bends with the new bender! Image

Interesting bender! Ive got some questions haha

What's the brand?
Price?
180 dies?
Where to find?

Those bends look nice I don't see any kinks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

5th Street Fab wrote:
GreinTime wrote:First bends with the new bender! Image

Interesting bender! Ive got some questions haha

What's the brand?
Price?
180 dies?
Where to find?

Those bends look nice I don't see any kinks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I sent you a DM on Instagram with my phone number so you can ask any specific questions you have about the bender, or anything else for that matter.

In order:

RogueFab M600 Tradesmen Set. Typically comes with 1x3.5, 1.25x4.5, 1.5x4.5, 1.75x6, and 2x6 dies. I swapped the 2x6 for the 1.625x6 as I don't feel that we (business partner and I) need at this point. If someone wants anything that big bent, the price of the die will be added to the price of the job.

Price: With roller pressure dies, which are 360 aluminum rollers with the matching tube size that the tube rests on as it pulls through the bender instead of a block with the radius milled in it. Cuts down on friction, allows you to bend stainless or aluminum without scratching it, things like that. Price was $1875, with shipping to my area it was $1987. I believe they are in Oregon actually, so you'd be able to pick it up locally and save some cash. **Also, this was the weld together kit, I'll get it powder coated locally.

Degree: If you could split the die in half on the centerline, you could bend 360. The dies are full diameter of die radius, with the tube profile cut in. Anything over 180 though you'd get stuck.

Where to find: https://www.roguefab.com/product-catego ... g-benders/

I bought the cylinder from Harbor Freight locally to save more money on shipping.

Bend quality is good as you can see. That was 1.5x.120, and bent great. I don't have the degree sticker on there, as I have to get it powder coated yet, but it seems that 0-~90° was one full stroke of the ram. I didn't repin to try and bend any farther, but that was 49 seconds or so with stopping once or twice to check things. The biggest selling point in my mind is that you can bend up to 1.5 solid bar with the HD kit, up to 0.250 wall 1.75, and up to 0.188 wall 2.0.

It's a little awkward to change dies, but it was the first time trying it, it should get easier from there.

I will keep everyone posted, I have a tube front on an S13 Nissan 240sx hatchback to do first, followed by an FD Mazda RX7 (1993 for you old folks who don't know chassis codes) and an 80's AE86 Corolla, back when they were RWD and cool [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] So I should be putting it through it's paces pretty quickly.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Just mucking around with some outside corner joints on 16ga stainless.. I experimented using pulse, as well as filler and no filler joints. All joints were welded with a 3/32" 2% Lanthanated Tungsten, Furick Fupa 12 with aluminium angle for backing. I had 100 amps set on the machine but didn't go anywhere near that..I think I had about 12LPM argon flow.

No pulse, 1/16" 308L filler:

1pps, 100 amps, 30% peak current and 20% background current, 1/16" 308L filler:

Same settings as above sans filler:

I only ran 6 coupons but I can definitely see the benefit that using a smaller diameter tungsten and filler would have on thin material.

Flo

OzFlo wrote:Just mucking around with some outside corner joints on 16ga stainless.. I experimented using pulse, as well as filler and no filler joints. All joints were welded with a 3/32" 2% Lanthanated Tungsten, Furick Fupa 12 with aluminium angle for backing. I had 100 amps set on the machine but didn't go anywhere near that..I think I had about 12LPM argon flow.

I only ran 6 coupons but I can definitely see the benefit that using a smaller diameter tungsten and filler would have on thin material.

Flo
way to lay it down Flo, very nice
Richard
Website
OzFlo

LtBadd wrote: way to lay it down Flo, very nice
Thanks Richard. This is the same material that I'm going to build my water cooler reservoir from so I want to get some good practice before attempting to weld that up. I didn't use any chill bars on the face side of the material when I welded those coupons but definitely will be when I attempt the real thing.

Flo

OzFlo wrote: Thanks Richard. This is the same material that I'm going to build my water cooler reservoir from so I want to get some good practice before attempting to weld that up. I didn't use any chill bars on the face side of the material when I welded those coupons but definitely will be when I attempt the real thing.

Flo
Make sure to document your build, we'll all benefit from it ;)
Richard
Website
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Nice job Flo :)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
OzFlo

pgk wrote:Nice job Flo :)
Thanks pgk :D
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Nice welds Flo, hope I can achieve that level of consistency some day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
OzFlo

Thanks David.. I only posted the good ones!! :lol:
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Beautiful work, Flo.

Moz
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Was stuck in the shop waiting for deliveries. Got sick of doing paperwork so went into the shop and knocked up a third hand from scrap. The 1/4" round came from a mop squeezer already bent to perfect shape, just had to cut it to length. All three points got aluminium bronzed to eliminate sparking.
3rd hand.jpg
3rd hand.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Deliveries came, too late to go back to site and I missed lunch so what would do you think an aussie joker would do about that?
bbq.jpg
bbq.jpg (102.94 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Ah Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

A few from the week. The first ones were tough. The main tubes were 0.6 mm (0.024") wall. A little nerve racking!

Stephen S by Mike Zanconato, on Flickr

The rest were a little more chill. Typical 0.7 - 0.8 mm wall.

Bill S by Mike Zanconato, on Flickr

Rich R by Mike Zanconato, on Flickr

Dan A by Mike Zanconato, on Flickr

Rich R by Mike Zanconato, on Flickr
Coldman

Beautiful work as usual Zank!
0.6mm is gettin pretty thin. How does it go for strength, is there a weight limit for the rider?
VooDoo
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

Wall thikness dosent efect on the strenght of the pipe, only material and outside diameter. You can apply the same force in pipe or axle... until there is a litle dent in the pipe.

i have made controllarms for race cars with 0.8mm wall thikness pipe, material 4130. Worked great. Cant take any dents, but is same for the stiffness than hevier wall pipe.
Coldman

Well you're wrong about that. You're just operating at a lower factor of safety. If you did the strength calculations you would know this to be true.

Sent using Tapatalk
VooDoo
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

Thats true that the longevity of the part goes down with thin wall, but dosent effect the torsional stiffness much. Not problem @ racing (cars.. bikes..)