Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Des
  • Des
    Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:35 am

Hi all,
I am using a classic transfo ACDC tig outfit(Fimer 160 ACDC). My major activity is thin walled SS and aluminium (.040 inch) I have only upslope, downslope and pre-post flow adjustment, besides a very good remote current control with rotating adj. knob at the torch.
Would a modern inverter outfit with balance and frequenty control make this job easier/better?
I was looking at the arcmaster 200 acdc. How is this welder rated?
Best regards,
Des.
bassboy1
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:14 am

I'd get the Arcmaster 185 AC/DC. Unless you have 3 phase power, the 200 will not be beneficial to you (If I remember correctly, on single phase 230v power, it maxes at 185 amps - you can't use the last 15 without 3 phase). The 185 is an excellent machine. Just do a little reading around the web - everyone who has one absolutely loves it. I'm real impressed with mine, especially given the price at less than $2220.
Des
  • Des
    Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:35 am

bassboy1,
thanks for your reply.
The arcmaster 185 acdc is not offered over here.(Belgium). At least not with the dealer I am dealing with. Anyway I can ask if he can get one, if the price difference would be beneficial.
I am invited by that dealer to play around with that welder in his demeo room, to find out wat the 200 can do and not do. (I am particularry interested to see ik a "modern" inverter tig, with all the bells and whistles, wil realy make a difference in welding thin alu/SS).
I'll report my findings.
Best regards,
Des.
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

This is a neat trick from jody. I tried it on .063 and you have to have zero gap...but it works.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/she ... ation.html
Charlie