Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I am a NOOB still in school. I have people waiting on me to gain knowledge to do jobs. I have a 17 torch for school but I need to go to a 9 for these jobs. I have searched the net and am confused as shit as far aas what to get.Help please. I am getting into al and stainless .020 to around ..080 and I want to get some good practice. I would like to have a torch to practice and take into fabrication. Flex head not necessary.
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

I went through something like this myself.

Personally, I wanted some flexibility and noticed the WP-225 torch.
I wont be able to give thoughts on it until the new welder gets here but that should be next week.

it's roughly the same size as a 20 series and weight... for me, the smaller the better.
Miller Aerowave
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

Well.. I've had it for a while now..

I gotta say, I thought the assload of attachments/heads was a bit useless.. until I had to weld a stud onto the end of an axle.

The axle was "mushroomed" while removing a hub from the car during a wheel bearing swap.
It was awesome going from a reg torch to a straight torch without having to unplug anything.
it does get really warm (and damn fast) at 200amps though.

I just wish CK made this module style torch with their bigger water jackets (shown on their website);

Since I've got both the CK230 and WP-225, the diameter of the WP-225 is smaller by a noticeable amount.
The CK230 feels like I'm holding a Husky pencil .vs the 225 which feels like a reg pencil. As stupid as that sounds, its a good analogy.
Miller Aerowave