Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
KennethDante
    Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:43 pm

I have a couple questions for any current owners of the 2013 model (with the flip up clear dust cover)

1.) About the pedal. Is this machine still unique in the Everlast lineup in that there is a rheostat in the pedal and therefor you cannot control panel amps 0-100% with the pedal like you would with a more typical pedal control you would find on other Inverter tigs from Everlast? It seems it would stink to have to wrangle with the pedal and change settings instead of just making an adjustment on the panel. Also, if the pedal broke or needed to be replaced... is this an issue as far as replacement? Is this odd or is it no problem and I'm worried about nothing? :)

2.) It looks like no upslope control on this machine. I realize this may not be necessary with a pedal, but if the pedal function is at all limited due to question #1, could this be an issue?

If you have anything else you think a potential owner may want to know before purchasing, please advise. Thank you so much for your valuable input. I'm in the market for an AC/DC Inverter Tig setup, and the 200DX with the dual voltage seems like it could be the cats meow. Also looking at the 210 ext, and the HTP 221 (heavier on price but Iooks good).

It's tough to wrangle through all the options out there for a beginner tig setup, balancing cost and trying to dodge bullets along the way. It's surprising how few video reviews there are on youtube of individuals who own Everlast (newer) Glad we have Jody! Thanks in advance for any feedback!

- Kenneth
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey Kenneth.

I was just out in the shop with my 2013 PT 200DX.
The pedal only maxes to what you set at the front panel.
If you set it at say 100 amps and floor the pedal you get 100 amps.
You can manually upslope with the pedal. I never cared for the rheostat
on the pedal. The one at the front panel is almost always easier to access. For me anyway.

Tonight I was doing repairs to an old motorcycle tank. I had it set
to 90 amps with the pulse set to 1 pps, 30% background current and 50% on time.
It worked slick. Welded a couple bungs in and made a new rear mount and
welded that on too.

BTW, I also did an argon purge on the tank.

Almost forgot, I am totally satisfied with this machine.
KennethDante

Hey thank you for the response Rake!!... so there is no dial on your pedal... or there is...and you just leave it wide open so it will always give you 100% of panel amps when floored? That makes sense. I guess I never really understood the difference between a rheostat pedal and a remote pedal or whatever it is. Thanks a bunch for the input and glad you are making good use of your new machine, sounds fun!

- Kenneth
KennethDante

I'm really surprised by the lack of forum participation. I see most posts gather hundreds of views and mere handfuls or less of replies. Not saying all threads warrant a lot of participation, but I thought there would be more people chiming in on this 200dx thread i started. Maybe this forum is a much smaller corner of the universe than I thought:) I was expecting that with Jodi's site content, there would be much more activity in here related to q&a with the growing popularity of inverters? have a good day!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, Kenneth,

When Jody began the original Welding Tips and Tricks website, the forum was a bit of an afterthought. It began as a small community, and easily 90% of the current membership number have one post (or none) in their history. If you click on the "members" tag, top right of the screen, then click "posts", it will sort members by activity. (I think you have to click it again... It comes up lowest to highest first time 'round.)

That said, there's been a major expansion of the forum not so long ago, and Jody has begun to mention it in his videos, so membership is not only on the uptick, but many of the new members are participating.

Currently, the "core group" is maybe 20-50 members who contribute at least fairly regularly, and that's a pretty small sample to extract useful information about a particular machine.

Stick with us, and help us grow, and we'll see where it leads!

Steve S
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

I'm planning on getting a 200DX/2013 for my house, and I've already committed to getting the SSC pedal, as I don't like the EL pedals, any of them. Which is fine, I don't like the Miller pedal on my Syncrowave either. I miss my Lincoln pedals :( As for the welders themselves, my 160STH has been great. S/F.....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit