Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Canuck
    Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi Guys,

Here are a few of my latest welds. I'm starting to question if my welder (Miller Synchowave 180SD) is having issues. This weld is for a chair I'm making and is 3/8" plate welded to 1.5 .120 wall square tube. I pre-heated the 3/8" plate first and did clean the joint with a stainless wire brush. Welder settings: AC Balance (10 - max penetration), 150 amps (peddle was variable), 3/32 Throiated, 3/32 4043 filler, 15 CFH Argon, #8 cup - 3/32 gas lens.

My welding has been getting better, but it is still pretty frustrating at times. I know I have to get the arc length down a little. My issue is that the cleaning on the sides of the weld looks more like my AC balance is less than the max penetration settings.

Could you guys review what I've got here and give me some hints?

Canuck

Things are definately looking up. I set the welder on max amps and max cleaning and changed to Lanth. Here's the result! Pretty pleased with myself.

Canuck, you have a right to be proud. thats genuine improvement. looks good to me.

jody
Canuck

admin wrote:Canuck, you have a right to be proud. thats genuine improvement. looks good to me.

jody
Thanks Jody - couldn't have done it without your no nonsense teaching approach.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Damn quick improvement, looks good to me.