Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

trying to get to know her a bit, putting down some $hitty beads. Got her set as Jody recommends (90Hz 65%balance) runs a fine bead going straight, laying one on the other. tried a fillet on putting 1x2" x1/8" aluminum stock at a 45degree, and can't get it to lay in-just balls up and collapses. The piece has been powder coated, but I have ground off the paint to bare aluminum. got a good ground, any ideas?
Thanks-
mister bobo
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

what size cup are you using? outside corners need a bigger cup and a bit higher flow to fully shield the rod and weld puddle. I've had that same problem and for me, more shielding fixed it. try a #7 or 8 gas lens cup w/ 15-17cfm of flow.
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks!
sometimes I need to step back to see the obvious-I'm on a #6 cup using 1/16" 2%thor. Get a chance to do this Sunday-I'll bet a 3/32 will fix my problem with a #8. thanks for the wake up call!
bo
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

yeah, that 1/16 is only good to 16ga, in my experience, anything over that and you're better off moving up to 3/32. those outside corners, though, always require more gas. because you're shooting gas at that corner, it doesn't 'pile up' like it does aiming at a butt/lap joint or inside corner.