Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

What I'd like to know is to properly read a "floating ball" type flow meter, are we supposed to read the flow rate indicated at the top of the ball, the middle of the ball, or the bottom of the ball?

Also, I'm curious to know if anyone has done any tests to determine the accuracy of their regulator, and if you did, how did you do it, how far was it off from what it said, and what type.

Also, FWIW, I've had pretty bad experience with chinese made floating ball type flow meters. I've got two of them and they both leaked, has issues fitting up with standard (CGA-580) argon tanks, and read in funny units. How to properly read the ball on those were the least of my worries. ;) I'm infinitely more pleased with my HTP flow meter.
Canuck
    Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Your looking at the bottom of the ball. I've always replaced them with dial types as the Chinese ones are not very accurate. I'd rather spend $100 on a good regulator and have to refill my gas at the correct time. I once used an entire medium tank MIGing stainless - used it all in about 4 hours! That regulator hit the trash.
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Some regulators or flow meters are different. It should say top of ball or bottom of ball on the tube. Maybe. I have seen it both ways and I have seen them with no labeling.
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I noticed one today that read center of ball.