Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Artisan
    Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm

i just picked up a miller syncrowave 200 not too long ago and i need some advice, i read alot on jodys page and i just cant seem to make nice clean beads when i try to weld a flang on a pipe, now the pipe is about 1/16 thick and the flange is about 1/4''. I got a #7 gas lens and 1.5% lanthanated 3/32 tungston. I just cant seem to mend the two puddles together with out adding alot of 1/16 rod or blowing through. i try to add more amps on the thicker side and let off the pedal on the thinner side, And when i do get them to mend, i can never get the nice bead apperance it should have like the pic shown below. mine looks dark gray. any advice for this noob? i got the machine set at dcen at about 100amps and 15pps with about 18cfms of argon
Attachments
ss welds.jpg
ss welds.jpg (18.08 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

The dark grey sooty appearence is ussually an indicator of contamination.

So what are the primary causes of contamination?
-Poor gas flow/protection
-dirty and contaminated tungsten
-dirt, rust, greases or oils on the workpiece(in other words a contaminated workpiece.)
-Too much arc distance(reducing gas protection in consequence)

So try to fix one of these.

or just turn up the argon, sharpen your tungsten, clean your metal, and keep a tight arc.

hope this helps,

-Rick
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Any of the things that Rick has pointed out or could be that 100 Amps is to hot for 1/16" or 1/4" stainless. The hotter it is the darker the weld gets. That joint configuration your talking about would be ok welded around 65 or 70 amps. Thats just my opinion. Some people may be a little hotter or colder.
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

on stainless 16gauge mandrel tubing, ill weld and back gas it....i run 130amps about 3/4 pedal...works great :)
Artisan

brian wrote:Any of the things that Rick has pointed out or could be that 100 Amps is to hot for 1/16" or 1/4" stainless. The hotter it is the darker the weld gets. That joint configuration your talking about would be ok welded around 65 or 70 amps. Thats just my opinion. Some people may be a little hotter or colder.
hey thx everyone, turns out brian was right, the amperage was too high, turned it down and boom nice clean looking beads. I just need some more under the helmet time now, any one have a good recommendation on which wire to use to weld stainless to galvanized pipe? dont know what grade stainless it is. thx
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

309 filler rod
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

309L like he said or silicon bronze to counter the zinc. either will work.
Artisan

thx guys