Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
genarr3
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 am

How long should an 80 CF tank of Argon last? I realize this is difficult to answer, but I need some kind of benchmark. How long a tank that size lasts for other poeple. I'm going through a tank about every 5 weeks. I only use my welder(Invertech 205) on the weekends. But those days it will get a lot of use.
michiganwelder
    Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 pm

well, it can be broken down into math. Depending on your flowrates, it can last anywhere from 4- 8 hours of straight arc on time. Say, 20cfh, and it will last for 4 solid hours of uninterrupted welding. Since the duty cycle of the welder wouldn't allow that anyway, it is kind of a useless figure. My tanks last about 2 months, but then again, i set my regulator fairly low. Try dropping down to about 10 cubic feet per hour. Unless you're welding in a drafty shop or are welding overhead, there's really no need to exceed 20 cfh.
genarr3
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 am

michiganwelder wrote:well, it can be broken down into math. Depending on your flowrates, it can last anywhere from 4- 8 hours of straight arc on time. Say, 20cfh, and it will last for 4 solid hours of uninterrupted welding. Since the duty cycle of the welder wouldn't allow that anyway, it is kind of a useless figure. My tanks last about 2 months, but then again, i set my regulator fairly low. Try dropping down to about 10 cubic feet per hour. Unless you're welding in a drafty shop or are welding overhead, there's really no need to exceed 20 cfh.
I have my flow set at about 15 cfh. I should have just done the math, I probably am just using it up, no leaks. Thanks.