Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nitram88
    Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:18 am

Hello I'm new to the forum I would like to learn to weld I'm interested mostly in fabrication work for motorcycles and cars/trucks I have a some experience with MIG welding and Oxy/Ace Cutting but would like to learn more I'm especially interested in TIG. I currently don't have a welder and would like some advice on what would be a good machine to start with given my interests?
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Nitram88 wrote:Hello I'm new to the forum I would like to learn to weld I'm interested mostly in fabrication work for motorcycles and cars/trucks I have a some experience with MIG welding and Oxy/Ace Cutting but would like to learn more I'm especially interested in TIG. I currently don't have a welder and would like some advice on what would be a good machine to start with given my interests?
welcome. have you used the search feature at the top?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Nitram88,

Clearly, TIG is the way to go for MC fabrication. On a motorcycle, many of your welds will be visible and part of the finished look, and nothing beats a nice, clean TIG weld on that small tubing. Many DC TIG machines are also capable of stick-welding, which will suit the heavier hidden aspects of automotive fabrication. MIG may be easier and neater, but you'll keep the price down with a TIG/Stick machine, using TIG for what's seen, and stick for the "dirty work".

There's a big price jump if you want to weld aluminum, so consider that. Aluminum requires about 70% more power for the same thickness, and high-frequency AC.

If you'll stick with steel, look for a machine with a peak power of about 180A. You'll be welding at a lower current all the time, and won't have to worry much about "duty cycle", how long you can weld in one go before letting the machine cool. TIG on .065 wall motorcycle frames will be under 50A, and you'll still be able to stick-weld 3/8" steel on a trailer hitch at 115 amps with a 1/8" rod.

I've never bought a welding machine in the 30+ years I've been doing this, and am only personally familiar with the two "big" brands, so be patient. Recommendations will come from other members. (We move at a slower, "neighborhood" kind of pace, but with the "good neighbor" attitude.)

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

You will find some friendly fellow welder's here from all levels and interest in welding and fabrication. :) What ever machine you decide on I recommend Miller only as it American made and has 3 year warranty. There a number of models to chose from and excellent resale value. I own a Dynasty 200 dx with a water cooler. I started with a Red Buzz box we all loved and quickly outgrow to a Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC that was sold for the same price I paid for it. 8-) I also own a older DialArc 250 that I really enjoy stick welding on. Check local education for class's as I'm retired and in welding class in a technical training school. Have fun and ask questions as there lots of great information and advice on this forum.

I will second Gene's recommendation for Miller. I've used both Miller and Lincoln with great results, but Miller currently has the edge on customer support.

You will also hear mostly good reviews on Everlast. 5-year warranty and (much) lower price-point for the features without being a "harbor fright" (intentional misspelling). I have heard mixed reviews on the product "out of the box", but mosty outstanding reviews about how they handle these issues. Two caveats, on what I've read. Up-buy to the better pedal, and be prepared to put a better torch on it. You'll still come in way under Red and Blue.

That said, if you're looking for more than a hobby, Everlast has not been around long enough to have "durability" reports.

"Longevity" is begining to hit the reviews, as well, but I haven't seen enough on them to tell you how the opinion is trending.

I have no experience with either of them myself, just summarizing what I've read, so take it for what it's worth.

Steve S

I should also mention that "Hobart" is supported by the same parent company as Miller, If I remember WerkSpace's posts correctly.

Steve S
Nitram88

Thank you all for the responses! I'm glad to have found a forum where I can ask questions and get answers I don't mind the wait at all! I'm looking around the web currently to find my machine I do like the idea of a dual machine but I'm thinking that since my current bike has an aluminum frame that I may need those capabilities in the future. I'm not going to start welding on my frame anytime soon but as my experience develops it could be a possibility. Has anyone had experience with the eastwood welders? I like their AC/DC TIG 200 http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eas ... elder.html the review on the site seem good although I always prefer to research beyond the sellers site. but the Price is right for me to manage to buy it around tax time! I'm not against buying a non name brand if I know people have had good luck with it. I would love a miller but I'd also like Ferarri too. But my beer budget won't stretch for fine wine wants. but I'll keep in touch with you guys through my search for a machine never know when something in grasp may show up on ebay or CL. I'll look into hobart thats the brand of MIG I learned on.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I personally know a couple guys that bought the Eastwood machines and hated then.
One was DOA. I own and use an Everlast PowerTig 200DX. A much nicer machine than the Eastwood.

Hey, I think I'll move this over to the TIG forum. It should get more traffic there.

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

After not having a welder at all, the most reputable machines that can be found used, for pennies on the dollar should not be overlooked.

This is my old sweetheart. It's currently set up for TIG and stick and it flat out kicks ass. I will never even touch the duty cycle of this machine in use and I used to weld with it sometimes 10 hrs at a time. I paid $800 for everything which was a Bernard water cooler, two WP-20 torches, box each of 1/8th pure and 1/16 1%, new ground and cables and stinger, new flow meter and gas hose and a large box of 5356 filler, assortment of collets and collet bodies TIG cups etc. The place I bought it from couldn't sell it. I knew what it was and what it could do.

The down sides are it uses more electricity but it is negligible considering and I don't really notice the difference in the bill with what I have done with it. That and I had to upgrade my electric service but i needed to anyway for other equipment and sub panel.

But man, to have that beast out in the shed and be able to weld just about anything, any kind of stick, anytime. . .priceless. . .and I don't have to worry about someone just walking off with it. Doesn't look like much, does it?
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
Nitram88

I wanted to check with you guys on the eastwood so thank you rake. and thanks for the move Steve. I looked at the hobart but it's only a 165 and though I may never use it at full power I don't want to need it and not have it. I checked out everlast too and I really like this multiprocess Powerpro 205 its a AC/DC TIG/STICK/PLASMA cutter http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 79-pd.html I think it will work well with what I want to do and I can add a water cooler if I wanted to, it appears that consumables are easily available and having a plasma cutter is just icing on the cake for the price!
Nitram88

Well searching around and found this anybody got any thoughts on this? http://www.avortec.com/products/weldersAV5X.asp searched around and found some reviews they all sound like everyone is satisified. I think it's come down to either this or the everlast powerpro 205. Opinions please!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

That's a good looking multi-process for the money - never heard of them before - would be nice if they'd send a demo out for Jody to review - there are so many machines on the market now it's difficult to know what's good - they are all cheap compared with red or blue - but it's still more money than most are willing or can afford to spend if it turns out to be junk.