Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
72novaproject
    Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:43 pm

This is my first post so hello to all out there.

I have been welding as a hobby for almost 30 years (gas, mig, stick) and recently purchased my first TIG machine. It is a Miller Syncrowave 200. I guess I am getting better at it as time goes by but I am guilty of not practicing like I should.

I have seen a lot on this site about inverter machines and I am just curious, did I waste my money by buying a square wave machine? When do you need an inverter machine and what would I notice different about the welding process from my machine?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
To each problem, exists a solution. Now just think.

Steve
FormulaXFD
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:03 pm

I picked up a Diversion 180 inverter machine and on this (lower) end of the spectrum, you have the better machine. Inverters are generally lighter weight, and on my end they have fewer total control features. (So no, you didn't do wrong).

If you went to the higher $ inverters it might be a different story.
Canuck
    Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

I've got an SD180 as well and find that it is perfectly suited to what I do. I don't need to TIG 3/8 plate ever, so it works fine. For thicker material, I just pre-heat and go. Don't forget to turn it up and vary the amps on the peddle. When I first started this was one of my problems, I didn't feel comfortable blasting it with all the machine had at the start...that's what was needed. :lol: