Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
madcratebuilder
    Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 am

I have read different recommendations on grit for grinding tungsten tips but what is really the best? I have a tool grinder with 180 grit SC wheels. I can use a dedicated area on one of the wheels or I can use a sanding disc on a sander, any grit.

I sharpened several tungsten's yesterday and tried my cordless drill at about 50 rpm, that worked very well but time consuming. Putting three or four between my fingers worked great and was pretty fast.

This site and it's vid's was been a big help to this noob, thanks.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Electrode Angle Surface Finish- The smoothness of the finish on the prepared
tip of the electrode will determine some of the characteristics of the welding
process. In general, points should be ground as fine as possible to improve welding
properties and increase the service life of the electrode. Electrodes that are
ground too coarse result in unstable arcs. A standard finish of around 20 RMS,
which would still show the longitudinally ground lines to the naked eye, is an allpurpose,
quality finish for any application. A high-polished, or mirror-like finish of
approximately 6-8 RMS, where few or no lines can be seen, is better for the longevity
of the electrode because without any grit to the electrode surface, it is much less
likely for contamination to “stick” to the electrode point and thus less erosion
takes place. However, for welding power supplies that do not have strong arc
starting characteristics, a finish of approximately 20 RMS is better because the
longitudinally ground lines will help steadily lead the electrons to the extreme
point of the electrode which assists in arc starting. Some manufacturers of pre-ground
welding electrodes provide coarser finishes in the 30 to 40 RMS ranges, which do
not last long, provide unstable arcs, and tend to be too gritty for extended,
effective arc starting.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
madcratebuilder
    Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks Jim, I ran a few tips over a new 600 grit belt. I saw a improvement in the arc, I think, I'm still a noob and taking it all in can be overwhelming.