Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Lucafu1
    Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:07 am

I am having problems trying to tack two pieces of 1/8" plate. I cannot get the puddles from each plate to come together to get a tack. they end up pushing away from each other. if i move the torch trying to weld it w/o filler it just creates a gap with beads on each side. if i try and tack it with filler rod it just melts and drips. now if i just weld the plates w/o tacking i get some nice beads.

i am new to TIG welding. Thanks for the help.

Luis
metafos
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 am

When you are just tacking, there is not enough heat for the right amount of time to create a weld without it cracking. The best thing to do for this is to preheat the part with a propane torch for 1/8 aluminium.When the part starts to create a little smoke, then you can tack the part with a little filler rod.Your going to need filler rod ( 4043) is good and keep the tog torch on the tack for a few seconds after the tack to allow for postflow on the weld. Make sure you have a good penetration. 1/8 electrode set to 150 to 200 amps with the pedal you can start high and finish low. Angle the torch between 30 and 45 degrees and weld with the torch pointing to you and fill into the weld puddle as you move away from you and then back into the puddle and away from you, etc.

Hope this helps.
metafos
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 am

Make sure the material is clean ( you can use a stainless wirebrush)and set your argon to 15 . Also make sure the tip of your electrode is not contaminated . I use a piece of copper and run the tip on that until I get a nice ball on the end.
mwallace61
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Had the same problem. I now start with a very low temp for a bit and gradually increase the temp via the pedal until I get a flow.
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

I too start low & increase amps. seem to keep a better eye on things that way than simply pouring the coals to it like I used to. Acetone can also be your friend
Also-clean aluminum is happy aluminum. did steps for an old peterbilt for a neighbor, as the muck boiled out of the puddle I says to myself-this is NOT happy aluminum...