Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
smaliden2
    Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am

in the first pic I think my welds are starting to look a lilttle better. The second pic is the back side, and I dont know if thats how it is supposed to look or if I just used too much heat. I am finally getting to the point where I can see the etching zone and see when things are starting to go wrong. The welds are on .025 aluminum plate.
CAM00334b.jpg
CAM00334b.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 708 times
CAM00335b.jpg
CAM00335b.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 708 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I personally think you are doing great. .025 is some very thin material to practice on. Keep up the hood time.

-Jonathan
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeah, man if you can control it on .025, you're set! when did you start working on TIG aluminum?
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

nathan wrote:Yeah, man if you can control it on .025, you're set!
No joke. :D The fact that you're not blowing holes in the sheet is impressive by itself. For running beads, I'd probably use a piece of 1/8" at least, to avoid too many "learning experiences" at the same time...
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
smaliden2
    Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am

I just started to tig about a month ago when i bought an everlast 205s. Although I cant speak for how long this unit will last I can tell you it has a very smooth arc & very easy to set and control once you understand what each knob does. So from your comments I'm guessing that it seems to be going in my direction! WONDERFUL NEWS!!! I figured if I could learn on the thin stuff (.025) first (total of 8 hours practice so far) that everything else would fall in place. 3/32- 2% lanthenated tungsten, 3/32 filler rod, 40 amps, no pulse, 65% ac balance, 130 ac frequency, 1 sec pre flow, 5 sec post flow, also using the pedal so I can back off as I weld has proven to be very useful and has improved burn through 1000%.
thanks, Scott
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Try 1/16" E3 tungsten and 1/16" filler. Low amps like that can struggle to get off of a 3/32". If it's working for you though, I suppose there's no need to change :D Keep it up man! Try something like that on some 1/8" material and you oughtta be able to lay it right in "no problemo!"
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press