Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rachele@fruitloop.cc
    Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello,

I am a student at a community college welding program that is very mixed at best. As an example we haven't touched MIG and the instructor is telling us "MIG is easy, we can get on a machine and certify the same night". I think that statement says it all. I have friends who have generously offered to let me get some seat time in their shops, but would appreciate some info on settings. I have been practicing TIG on .125 or 1/8" carbon steel and just purchased some aluminum and stainless plate in the same thickness. It would also be helpful for settings in carbon on MIG. I purchased the Miller calculator for TIG, MIG and Stick, and have the Miller weld settings calculator on my phone, but there is a large range for the amperage. Any suggestions in general would be appreciated. Thanks for any help, Rachele
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Rachele.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Rachele,

At the start, you can completely ignore amperage when MIG welding. Your amperage is a direct function of your voltage and wire-feed speed. The Miller calculator is an excellent tool, regardless of the machine you use it on, and the voltage and WFS are the variables you can adjust at the machine.

Don't assume that because you're welding 1/4" metal that you need the settings recommended for 1/4" in the table. Think more of the penetration. If, for example, you're welding a T-joint in flat position, both pieces 1/4". You will find using the chart's recommendation for 1/8" will make the joint much easier to weld. As always, the chart (or app) settings are a starting point, and you may have to adjust... only practice will tell you when and how to adjust.

Two cents...

Steve S
coldman
  • coldman

Many MIG machines have a chart on the inside of the wire spool access panel on the side of the machine giving recommended voltage and wire speed settings for various materials, thicknesses and wire size. If you are lucky enough to have one on your machine, you will find these recommended initial settings surprisingly close to the sweet spot for starters.

If you don't have a chart and the machine is a recognized brand name, you can contact the manufacturer and they will gladly supply you with the chart if the machine is a recent model.
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
rachele@fruitloop.cc
    Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to post a reply, it's helpful and appreciated.