Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BrassPat
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi everyone, I got an AC buzz box and I was wondering if you could rig a tig torch up to it to weld Aluminum.
I know you wouldn't be able to control Freq. or balance . but would it work otherwise ?
I got a 211i thermal arc , but it's dc only . and I got the spool gun for Aluminum.
but it seems its to big to do small joints , cant get in there ( IE stick out to long , soot, etc. ) What do you think?
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I was wondering the same thing and someone told me that you have to have a high frequency box to run on aluminum. That was the answer I got when I ask the same question somewhere else. I don't know the reasoning behind it just hang in there and someone smarter and more experienced than me will be along to help you.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

BassPat,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you can add a high freq box and will be able to weld alum. I would first ask if it is really something you would want to spend the money on, as the high freq boxes are quite pricey. You could take the money and buy a cheaper AC/DC welder as well, just a thought. I have used a Miller high freq unit off a generator only, so I can't tell you all the details. Here is a link showing the unit to add.
https://www.google.com/search?q=high+fr ... 4#imgdii=_

Here is a video that Jody did on converting a buzz box to run a DC TIG torch and he has others as well.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/hom ... elder.html
Hope this starts you in the right direction.
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum BrassPat.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum BrassPat.
ryanjones2150
    Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Against advice from most, but since its sort of my thing to take a mishmash of stuff, especially if its old and worn out, rebuild it and make it succumb to the will of my American ingenuity, elbow grease and stubbornness...I did exactly what you're asking to do. I have a Miller Thunderbolt 225, of course old, AC only and run it through a Miller 251D HF box and can scratch start TIG on aluminum just fine. Of course its not nearly as sweet as using a super bad mammerjammer of a machine, but I got the equipment for nearly nothing, cleaned it up, put it back together and melt some metal together AND make good quality welds that are aesthetically pleasing.

My LWS "expert" told me that it would never work, I don't have enough power, which is code for "you need to spend a boat load of money on a new TIG machine". I have to admit, the first time I struck an arc on aluminum with HF made jump a little because of the intensity compared to the mild steel and stainless I had been scratch starting on. Plus the "expert" told me even if I turned it all the way up it would barely spark. That "barely spark" blew a hole the size of a nickel through my 1/8" aluminum instantly. I have it sort of dialed in now though! No doubt, its caveman aluminum welding compared to guys that have the goods, but it works and it didn't break the bank.

Being fairly new at TIG welding, I have no doubt that I will out grow this machine pretty soon in favor of a machine that has all sorts of knobs I can turn and make amazing TIG welds with. But, for a guy starting out, and if you like to make stuff work, go for it. Be patient and keep an eye out for a good deal on an HF box. Don't be afraid to modify your stuff. I'm the guy that buys something brand new and opens it up to see how it works within the first five minutes and maybe even cut a few holes in it if the mood suits me to do so. I say go for it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

BrassPat wrote:Hi everyone, I got an AC buzz box and I was wondering if you could rig a tig torch up to it to weld Aluminum.
I know you wouldn't be able to control Freq. or balance . but would it work otherwise ?
I got a 211i thermal arc , but it's dc only . and I got the spool gun for Aluminum.
but it seems its to big to do small joints , cant get in there ( IE stick out to long , soot, etc. ) What do you think?
I started this way - the high freq boxes are about $300 and up around here.

For heavier aluminum it was ok, like 1/8" and up.

But for 1/16" aluminum it sucked - it could do it, but I didn't enjoy it.

Paid $225 for a used 460 amp Airco (rebadged Miller 330) and love it. I would never go back to using a tig without a foot control on aluminum.

Recently saw a Lincoln 225 AC/DC tig go for $500 with foot control and torch.
Often see older big tigs like mine in the $600-$900 range.

High freq boxes work, but the real deal is way way more fun!
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
BrassPat wrote:Hi everyone, I got an AC buzz box and I was wondering if you could rig a tig torch up to it to weld Aluminum.
I started this way - the high freq boxes are about $300 and up around here.

For heavier aluminum it was ok, like 1/8" and up.

But for 1/16" aluminum it sucked - it could do it, but I didn't enjoy it.

Paid $225 for a used 460 amp Airco (rebadged Miller 330) and love it. I would never go back to using a tig without a foot control on aluminum.

Recently saw a Lincoln 225 AC/DC tig go for $500 with foot control and torch.
Often see older big tigs like mine in the $600-$900 range.

High freq boxes work, but the real deal is way way more fun!
I agree there but I'm glad I learned on an old buzz box set-up, taught me a lot before I was spoiled with newer tech..lol My dd taught me on our old Miller set-up, Tig Alum was first...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
DCALLWELD
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

and scratch staring may work but not the best way << good to starter out with but will fail the sh*& out of XRAY
not making fun I know how it is no not be able to buy what you want

I do a lot of aluminum work. I have a miller fh251 high freak starter, this machine allows you to add high feak to any ac welding source. where you may have problems with a unit like this is that it will have a 14 pin plug on the back you will need to hook to your power source to controle heat and for gas machines to bump up. your older machine will not have the 14 pin. any trailblazer or bobcat of newer ac dc shop machine will have this plug for heat controles. Down fall by the time you buy a new shop machine and the hf starter ( they are about 1300 new) you could have a small ac tig with the hf starter built in. and with a tig machine you can controle post flow pre flow AC balance >> every thing