Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Joe
  • Joe
    Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

The article about phosgene gas prompts me to write about a question I've had for a few days. When I was researching whether I should get a spool gun for my MIG machine or go the TIG route for aluminum, one local guy I know said that toxic fumes were created when using MIG to weld aluminum. I eventually decided on TIG for aluminum because I want to do thin stuff as well as do some pretty welds on decorative ironwork. But I'm curious about the fumes part. I know you shouldn't breathe any of the fumes from welding cause on some level they are probably all bad for you. But why would there be a significant difference between MIG and TIG on aluminum as far as whether the fumes were toxic or not?
joe
Gary
  • Gary
    Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Hey Joe,
How you like the welder? ( if this is Joe from Knoxville)
But he might have beed referring ti MIG with flux core wire . But that is for steel not aluminum. Also the MIG is more of a Spray Transfer welding the wire is basically sprayed onto the metal not puddled up like with TIG welding with argon. But it is recomended to have good ventilation when MIG welding aluminum as well but not like the affects of using carborater clean producing phosgene gas.
Gary
Everlast 250EX Tig
Everlast torch cooler
Everlast 50P Plasma Cutter
Home Built 2 x 4 CNC Router table
Shoptask Bridgemill with CNC added
Central Tools 7" Bandsaw
Joe
  • Joe
    Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Hey Gary,
Welder won't be here till Tuesday. Got the shop cleaned up and a place made for it this weekend.
I was just curious about why fumes from MIG vs TIG might be diifferent since this fellow said the fumes from welding Al with MIG were toxic. I need to go back and query him about why he thought so.
I try to avoid breathing any fumes. The shop is pretty open and I've got a good exhaust fan mounted in the wall next to the welding table.
Joe