Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
merc1030
    Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi I am trying to swap out my torch from a 17 style to a 26 style but the threAd size on the back of the torch is a totally different size and thread. I have been searching for se kind of adapter fitting,but I am not having much luck.does any body have any suggestions or expierience with trying to complete this task .thank you
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

The 17 series torch usually shares the hose fitting at the torch end with a 9series as they are similar in current capacity ( typical generic rating 125amps @ 100 % & 150 amps @ 30 % ) the 26 is a much heavier torch ( typical 200 amp ) & as such has a heavier hose & fitting for that extra power - the machine end is usually the same if threaded ( 3/8" BSP or the metric equivalent ) so you need to swap the whole torch / hose assembly - not just the head - I'm sure you could make an adapter if you have access to a lathe - but I'd be surprised if you can buy one - it would not be a recommended thing as the hose would not be rated to the current the torch was - ( if I understand your question correctly ).
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Finding such an adapter would prove useless as already mentioned. Your power cable would cook long before you would damage a 26 torch.

That said, you can get fittings from River Weld and make your own adapter. The 26 torch uses a 7/8"-14 RH thread for the nut. You'd have to buy the nut and nipple separately.
merc1030
    Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Thank you for both answers , you guys answered my question