Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
scottwelder1371
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 pm

How do you choose a cup size, does it depend on the amperage, type of weld, size of the tungsten?????
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

From the little bit I know about tig welding, all of the above. For the most part it depends on the size of the tungsten. Some joints might be too tight to get a larger cup in so you have to use what will fit. If you are welding a type of metal that needs more shielding then you may need a larger cup. The straight forward answer is it depends most of the time on the size of the tungsten.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

CK Worldwide's manual Technical Specifications for Tig Welding has a chart towards the bottom of page 4 showing torch cup sizes for different electrode diameters. Here are some torch cup sizes taken from this manual.

1/16 lists 4, 5, or 6
3/32 lists 6, 7. or 8
1/8 lists 7, 8, or 10
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

If I had to pick two setups it would be a 7 & 12 cup with a gas lens. These will cover most of your needs unless stated differently in a wps. I would keep a diffuser and a 4 or 5 around for tighter areas.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Wes917 wrote:If I had to pick two setups it would be a 7 & 12 cup with a gas lens. These will cover most of your needs unless stated differently in a wps. I would keep a diffuser and a 4 or 5 around for tighter areas.
Very well stated.