Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

It seems there have been quite a few questions on tungsten contamination and if there is a leak in the line, drawing oxygen into the cooling tungsten. Well I went out in the garage today and was getting the same symptoms and low and behold, I had a crack in my TIG torch head. So I thought I would throw up the pictures for others' reference. Also when I checked the leak, I found that my back cap leaked as well. Anyway time for a new torch. Enjoy.
-Jonathan
Attachments
17 torch crack.JPG
17 torch crack.JPG (113.31 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
17 torch gas bubbles.JPG
17 torch gas bubbles.JPG (77.3 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
17 torch bubbles.JPG
17 torch bubbles.JPG (89.42 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

I set up a YouTube account and thought I would put up a quick video testing the crack underwater. Poor video, but Jody I am not. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56wkDbq ... e=youtu.be
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Excellent!

Explaining the test with text is not nearly so clear as showing it in video. Maybe share the video with Jody? He might put it on his channel.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Excellent!

Explaining the test with text is not nearly so clear as showing it in video. Maybe share the video with Jody? He might put it on his channel.

Steve S
Steve,
I think that is one of the frustrating things with text, I can't just show someone or tell them how to do something. Maybe we can get the Forum to be able to upload videos as well?
Will send Jody the video.
-Jonathan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

that large diameter pyrex cup kit is trashed as well, as anyone with half an eye can see. You should just send it to me. :mrgreen:
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Lol I had to go back and look at the picture again!!!!! I was like, WTF is Oscar smoking today? Then I realized what you were getting at ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

Oscar wrote:that large diameter pyrex cup kit is trashed as well, as anyone with half an eye can see. You should just send it to me. :mrgreen:
Oscar,
Looks like they go for $74.95 on eBay, so since mine is "trashed" I will send it to you for $74.94 :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!

And here is what I did to fix my leak, replaced the 17 head with a 9 flex head. And purchased another 17 torch. Done and done.
-Jonathan
Attachments
9 flex head.JPG
9 flex head.JPG (150.93 KiB) Viewed 1485 times