Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
coldman
  • coldman

Hi all.
I am under instruction from my better half to repair a favorite kitchen utensil.
It is stainless steel but highly magnetic. Any ideas what grade of staino this might be and is 316 wire doable?
I thought I should double check before I do something that would upset the missus. :cry:
Thanks.
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 315 times
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Stuff like that is usually 18/8 stainless. Hit it with some 309. No worries. Stainless properties wont come in to play on that thing. Hence the uneducated saying "its stainless mate"

Mick
coldman
  • coldman

Thanks Mick.
My 309 wire is 2.4mm so I used the 316 wire I have in 1.6mm. Welded up OK once I figured the amps. The flip blade is like 0.4mm against the handle bar which is like 4mm.

I thought the broken solid rivet might have been aluminium since it was peined flat so I first tried to build it up with some 5356 - man it just exploded and turned the 3mm rivet hole into a 6mm black hole which I had to clean up and fill in as well. No complaints from the missus. :D
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

yep, alum rivits. i ditched them and tig blob top and bottom of a spoon handle. I always start at super low amps for that ever since i blew through one of my mums sauce pans and totally wrecked it.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That highly magnetic spatula was probably a 400 series, but no worries. It ain't pipe... 308, 309 or 316 will hold just fine for even Ostrich eggs over-easy. :lol:

Steve S