Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gvinrad
    Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 am

Hi everybody, my name is Gerry and i live in Suffolk in England. I'am new to this forum having only discovered it today !, i was wondering if anyone out there has tried tig brazing as a technique ?. It was suggested to me as the solution to a particular problem by my supplier of welding equipment/supplies, i have since used it for many applications and found it to be invaluable.

Regards, Gerry.
milwiron
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:58 am

gvinrad wrote:Hi everybody, my name is Gerry and i live in Suffolk in England. I'am new to this forum having only discovered it today !, i was wondering if anyone out there has tried tig brazing as a technique ?. It was suggested to me as the solution to a particular problem by my supplier of welding equipment/supplies, i have since used it for many applications and found it to be invaluable.

Regards, Gerry.
I’ve only recently tried TIG brazing using an aluminum bronze filler, not the more common silicon bronze. I was interested in trying aluminum bronze after years of machining bearings out of similar alloys; it’s tough stuff.
No matter how well I cleaned the base metal I could never get it to flow. But, slightly melting the base and it mixes in beautifully, the resulting weld/braze is amazingly strong and tough. It works really well on ductile iron castings.
Most guys I show it to can't believe it works as good as it does... or works at all.

The first I ever heard about TIG'ing with aluminum bronze was on Jody's Welding Tips and Tricks site.
gvinrad
    Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 am

As a technique i have found it to be identical to tig welding, it's just a different filler rod that's required. I use Sifbronze Sifsilcopper 968 rod's, you do need to create a weld pool on the base material though in order to get the filler rod to flow properly. I have found it particularly useful when joining stainless steel to mild steel, the resulting join should be stronger and less prone to stress fractures than a weld.

Gerry