Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BrandonSpringle
    Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:39 pm

Hello everyone.
So last time I posted on here I was having trouble with horizontal. Now I'm having trouble with overhead.
Vertical was a piece of cake.
Mild steel to mild steel T joint. 1/4" thick base metals. Using 2% thoriated tungsten and 3/32 70s filler metal. 100% argon gas. TurboTorch. And weld machine is on 155. Argon pressure is at 25-30psi.
I have to put down a single pass 1/4inch bead. The dual pass 3/8's bead. Then triple pass 5/8's bead.
So every time I try to put down a 1/4 inch bead I get undercut to the top base metal. And every time I put the second or third pass on my 3/8's and 5/8's I get undercut.
Any advice or ideas on how to prevent the undercut will help a lot.
Thanks.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Here's Jody's video on it.

Hope this helps,

~John

http://welding-tv.com/tig-welding-overh ... -overhead/
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
blaz
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

I have found that torch angle is a big reason for under cut.
BrandonSpringle
    Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm thinking it's angle too but can not figure out what angle will work.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Does under-cut mean under-fill in this case?

I've noticed that whatever process I use, stick/tig/mig, if it's undercut, often I have traveled too fast to fill the cut it (mig/stick) or just didn't fill enough (tig).
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Do you have any wiggle room on those parameters? 155 amps is kind of a lot for 3/32" filler and is probably a contributing factor in your undercut. I'd switch to 1/8" at that amperage.

And are you letting it cool any in between passes? Undercut is simply melting material without replacing it, and getting it too hot is a good way to melt a lot of material really fast.