Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

I hope every-bodies holiday weekend goes well. For the pros here, possibly a break from welding, and for some of us amateurs, a chance to get some welding done!

Catching up on Jody's videos, the one about using aluminum bronze caught my attention - and raised a couple of questions. I have no doubt that you fellas will have a bit of insight.

I've used silicon bronze, and find it very easy to use - can make some eye catching beads as a bonus. Looking at the spec sheets, it looks like aluminum bronze may be stronger though.

What are some consideration to keep in mind when choosing one over the other? Is the welding technique similar for both, use the TIG torch to apply the minimum amount of heat to cause the braze to flow - forward to preheat till it starts to flow forward, then dip, etc.

Thanks,
Pete
RonMartens
    Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Maybe kinda late to answer your post.
I use silicon bronze quite a lot, I can tell you that it is great for light gauge work.
I use 0.030 MIG wire as filler & 0.040 2% electrode with tig & it requires less pedal to join 0.049 tube.
It's good because It's strong, paintable & won't quench out your puddle.
You feed it to the very edge of your puddle , back off slightly and make a C shape or U while keeping a mirror in the puddle. You'll get less distortion on most metals.
Also, I use it in my MIG welds super fast and no distortion. Using a push method of course. 100% argon.