Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

With the old Transformer TIG I went down to .040" tungsten to control arc wander. It wanted to arc from the side of the tungsten, laterally to the shoulder of one can otherwise.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Alright I gave it a go before I came in for the night. I used the Syncrowave set at 50 amps and 1 pps, 3/32" 4943 filler and .040 zirconiated. I guess it was not to bad for a quick go. Will have to work on it again with the other cans.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (102.25 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Superior Welding That looks really good. I never heard of that 4943 filler had to look it up there is a mess of aluminum fillers trying to learn about them as I go along.

My second attempt better than my last one. Remembered to change frequency this was done at 150 hertz instead of 80 machine set to 50 amps using pedal so not really welded at 50amps. 20% cleaning action. Wish I had 1/16 filler instead of 3/32 filler think I could have gotten a lot better bead. For those trying it lay filler in grove and strike arc on filler then wash puddle on to cans. At least that's way I did it. If anyone has a better way I would love to hear it.
0609142023[1].jpg
0609142023[1].jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
dirtmidget33

Superiorwelding does that .040 tungsten want to ball up on AC real bad? I know I had to not sharpen my 1/16 to a needle but more of a 45 degree angle or it would just suck up. This was my first attempts at using anything smaller that 3/32 tungsten on aluminum. I try to use more of a point than the ball when I weld AL.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

dirtmidget33 wrote:Superiorwelding does that .040 tungsten want to ball up on AC real bad? I know I had to not sharpen my 1/16 to a needle but more of a 45 degree angle or it would just suck up. This was my first attempts at using anything smaller that 3/32 tungsten on aluminum. I try to use more of a point than the ball when I weld AL.
Actually I didn't do anything to the tip, just threw it in and welded. It did ball up and held very well. I have found zirconiated to hold up very well in the transformer machines. Normally I would sharpen to a sharp tip and square it off. On a inverter I try to get as sharp a point as I can using 2% Lanthinated. I think I will try some .020 tomorrow and see how that works out.
Good job on the welds!
-Jonathan
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

It was goin OK til I popped through. Never tried before, but this thread ..... had to try. :)
3/23 Lanth, 3/32 4043, and about thirty anps. Syncrowave 250.

Kent

gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

So what, keep going. I got a hole in a pop can and was able to fill it!
aeroplain

:D Ya, when my boss isn't lookin I will. ;)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I popped a hole in the top of a beer can, not fifteen minutes ago.

My goal is not to fill it, but rather, empty it... :lol:

Steve S
aeroplain

Well played Sir. 8-)
Otto Nobedder wrote:I popped a hole in the top of a beer can, not fifteen minutes ago.

My goal is not to fill it, but rather, empty it... :lol:

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

A lone can ? ! - surely there should be more than one for safety reasons ! - think of it like the buddy system when diving or a polar expedition ! safety in numbers - the 1st can may disappear without trace - no one will know what happened to it - best send for back up ! or an expert like Jack Daniels !
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'm not sure why you guys keep welding pop cans, I buy ones that don't leak, no welding needed.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

My cans, like wolves, travel in "packs"...

There's safety in numbers. ;)
Alumike
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm

pop1.jpgresize.jpg
pop1.jpgresize.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Here is my first attempt at pop cans. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I blew a couple holes but managed to fill them. The hardest part was holding the can in place. Used 1/16 red electrode, not pointed, just cracked off to a fresh, clean area.
dirtmidget33

Try using a piece of angle iron to hold cans and just hook ground clamp to the angle iron. I also found it necessary to put small hole in middle of at least one of the cans so you wont have trouble with closing up the weld from the preasure of an enclosed space

Dirtmidget has a great point...

If you don't poke a hole in the bottom of one of the cans, you'll have blowout at closure.