Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

Last weekend I built a jig for the plasma cutter to bevel plates at 37.5 degrees to get some practice with open groove welds. Here is where I am at after a few practice joints… 1/4" plate, 3/32" gap, 3/32" ER70S6, 105 amps root, 115 amps hot pass, 125 for the remainder. There are a few small contamination marks, most likely abrasive that got imbedded from blasting off the plasma oxidation. Am I on the right track? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Pete
Attachments
IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0818.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 592 times
IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg (51.63 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Do you have a picture of the root?

The cap looks pretty good. And seeing as you have a 3 bead cap I'd try weaving, simply because it covers a larger area faster.

Nothing wrong with stringers, but it's good to know both.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yep, the cap looks good, but the root tells the tale.

Seems you're off to a great start.

Steve S
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Looks good.
Was this just done in 1g?
I have a soldering iron!
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Looks ok to me, a little cold on the cap maybe from the pics. I prefer stringers over weave also. Nice work
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

Thanks for the comments, I was afraid (but knew) that you'd ask to see the back. Not quite as pretty!
Attachments
IMG_0819.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

All in all it doesn't seem to bad. I see a little suck back, but that's not the end of the world.

The worst I see is about an inch and a half, or so, after you start where it looks like you didn't break down the bevel. It looks the same about halfway down.

The best I see is a little before the end where there's good penetration but you're not over penetrating, and it seems a little more consistent.

And if you think it might have been contaminated take a clean rag with some IPA or acetone and give it a quick wipe, same for your filler.

Regardless, you're on the right track.
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Would be nice if the backs of mine looked like that.
Did u use a perge box or similar for this result?

Stupid Tafe I goto don't even have some copper for a back up
I have a soldering iron!