Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Darth
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm

I finally got my new tank of Helium and "T"d it to my Argon. I had an old Victor flow regulator that I had used before with Argon with no problems. After hooking it up to the Helium tank, I turned on the tank valve and the safety valve blew off. I removed the valve and checked for blown "O" rings, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong. I even replaced the valve with one off of an Oxygen regulator, with no change. I finally got frustrated and replaced it with a pipe plug. When I opened the tank valve, it held for about 30 seconds and then blew a diagram at the top of the flow tube. For the brief time I could look at the tank pressure gage, it only showed around 3000 psi.

What in the heck is going on? I guess I am going to have to look for a new regulator, unless I can find parts for the Victor. Is there any difference in an Argon and Helium regulator?
CHEMA CARDENAS
    Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:54 am

NO SIR NO DIFFERENCE, ONLY THAT YOUR FLOWMETER HAS TO ALLOW AT LEAST 4000 PSI INLET.

AND THE FLOWMETER TOWER HAS TO BE SET TO HELIUM FOR AT LEAST 140 SCFH

THE BOTH USE CGA-580 CONECTION INLET. WHAT COULD HAPPEN IS THAT YOUR OLD FLOWMETER WAS STORED FOR QUITE SOME TIME AND THE DIAPRAGM WAS RUSTED OR NO LONGER USEFULL, AND THE SAFETY VALVE SENSED THE PRESSURE RUSHING FROM INLET CHAMBER TO OUTLET CHAMBER AND DID ITS WORK. OTHER WISE YOUR FLOWGAUGE WOULD BEEN SHOOT OUT LIKE A BULLET ANYWHERE IT WAS POINTED TO. ALSO BE CAREFULL WHE MAKING ADAPTATION LIKE THE ONE YOU MENCIONED FOR THE OXIGEN.

BEST REGARDS
BLUE BLOOD
rod burna
    Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:48 pm

go for a new regulator man, chema has a way better grasp on the internals of the reg but i took the ones off my torches in to have them rebuilt when they finally started leaking (inherited victor's of my dads with alot of miles on 'em) and it was almost as much to rebuild them as it was to just buy a new set... went with the new ones kept dad's for sentimental value my $o.02
When all else fails, Force prevails!
Darth
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm

rod burna wrote:go for a new regulator man, chema has a way better grasp on the internals of the reg but i took the ones off my torches in to have them rebuilt when they finally started leaking (inherited victor's of my dads with alot of miles on 'em) and it was almost as much to rebuild them as it was to just buy a new set... went with the new ones kept dad's for sentimental value my $o.02
Got a new regulator, and all is well. :D