Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Damark
    Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Today I am trying my hand at making a tank. I had a customer come into the shop with a older galvanized steel tank in need of replacement, so I said, sure I never did a tank but what the heck. My biggest concern is are you guys putting baffles in the tank and if so can you make some suggestions. The old one did not have any but before I close it up I figured I should ask some of you more experienced folks what you think.

Thanks, and I have a thick skin so constructive criticism is always welcome...Jeff
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Baffles add rigidity to the tank, even if fuel-slosh control is not needed.

Add baffles.

two cents...

Steve S
Damark

Sorry forgot to add the pics
[imghttps://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/497x373q90/834/69n4n.jpg][/img]
Damark

Damark

I agree completely on adding them it just seems to make sense. Can you offer any suggestions as far as placement and number of them. I am just a little unsure having never had done any tank work.

That appears to be a bow-mount fuel tank from a boat, which takes a pretty good pounding. WIthout a drawing to work from, my gut reaction is three baffles, all keyed off the apex of the small vee, at roughly 30*. 90*, 150* to 45*, 90*, 135*. You'll have to figure your "best fit" in those parameters, but I'd key the off-center baffles to the forward lower corners, as corners are the weakest link, and the bottom takes the hardest of the pounding. A 3/4" radius semi-circle top and bottom will control slosh nicely with no worries about flow or air-lock.

If slosh is an issue, I can offer some ideas for the fuel pick-up, including a sump if the installed space allows it.

Just "armchair engineering" based on the pictures.

Nice looking work, by the way!

Steve S
Damark

I definitely appreciate your suggestions as my thought would have placed them horizontally. I like your idea better and the baffles should help support the weaker spots should it end up taking a beating over time. My gut just said its to big a space to leave unsupported in a boat. I will post some completed pics once done.

Thank you

You're welcome, and I look forward to the pics.

Was the original tank baffled at all? Might be an interesting study to cut it up and see how the original was done.

Lack of internal reinforcement is often a weak point in fuel tanks, especially thase that take a 3G+ pounding in any boat that "planes".

Steve S
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Welcome, Angus! And thanks for the link - that's an interesting article on the problems with material and construction of metal marine fuel tanks. There seem to be a lot of issues with longevity.

Small details can kill products. E.g., the manufacturer that used staples to install the rubber sheet under a tank - tanks failed when the staple heads rubbed through the tank.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!