Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
makgreens
    Wed May 28, 2014 12:08 pm

I recently got a 200dx off eBay with a Coolmate1 and wp20 torch and have been using it for a few hours just trying to get the hang of the basics and from all I've read people suggest air cooled for lower amps... The thickest I'm welding is 1/4" mild steel right now so I'm not sure if the wp20 is best for my application.

What are the best settings for this thing? I've been toying around with the amps but that's about it because I'm still learning and researching?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I'd sure leave that torch on there. You'll find the air cooled torches get hot too fast and are bigger.

Try the miller online calculator for settings. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ca ... ulator.php
It's pretty good up to 1/8" or so.

But watch the filler size they recommend on stuff like 1/4" - their recommendation is a 3/16" filler, which you won't have so the amps they give you are way too high.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

wonder where you're reading this stuff :?:
Last edited by Oscar on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

makgreens wrote:... just trying to get the hang of the basics and from all I've read people suggest air cooled for lower amps...
The logic is a little different than you're interpreting... With lower amps you can get away without water-cooled, but it's only preferred because it's cheaper. If you've got a water-cooled setup, there no reason not to use it all the time.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

Trade ya... :-)

TxBigRed wrote:Trade ya... :-)
Ha!! I should have thought of that! :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Enter your machines serial number here to get the manual specific to that year Dynasty 200. Also, having purchased the machine used, maybe something worth checking into; I would see if you are able to re-register the machine with Miller. When I purchased my Dynasty new, when I registered it, it mentioned that this also helped for thief purposes if the machine was recovered due to the machines serial number would be registered to you.

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
dheco
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I just purchased a Dynasty 300DX with a water cooled troch but no cooler. Can I run it without cooling at air cooled amps and duty cycle or is it going to be a problem?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

dheco wrote:I just purchased a Dynasty 300DX with a water cooled troch but no cooler. Can I run it without cooling at air cooled amps and duty cycle or is it going to be a problem?
Don't weld with your cooler off.
Water cooled torches can't take the heat.
They have lighter cables and heads .
Don't try it.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Evgen
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm

makgreens wrote:I recently got a 200dx off eBay with a Coolmate1 and wp20 torch and have been using it for a few hours just trying to get the hang of the basics and from all I've read people suggest air cooled for lower amps... The thickest I'm welding is 1/4" mild steel right now so I'm not sure if the wp20 is best for my application.

What are the best settings for this thing? I've been toying around with the amps but that's about it because I'm still learning and researching?
Firstly - could you please write who is the producer of your torch?
You can use wp20 for low amperage without fitting it to your cooler, but it depends. You always(during the process) have to control the temperature of your torch(you can do it manually, without a pyrometer :))
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English isn't my native language.
dheco
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I am off to buy an air cooled torch, any recommendations? I will not be running much duty cycle, not a production environment. I would like to occasionally weld to the max of the 300DX, Mostly aluminum in my future, I would like fingertip control (at least on / off) since some of my work will not be in ideal positions. I would like a head that can angle yet I do not want it to be real heavy etc.

dheco wrote:I am off to buy an air cooled torch, any recommendations? I will not be running much duty cycle, not a production environment. I would like to occasionally weld to the max of the 300DX, Mostly aluminum in my future, I would like fingertip control (at least on / off) since some of my work will not be in ideal positions. I would like a head that can angle yet I do not want it to be real heavy etc.
Your requirements mean you are in for a disappointment.
I use a wp-26 and it gets completely cooked at 230 amps AC.
I now have a water pump in the shop, making a tank and switching to wp-20 water cooled.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

I guess some people just have to learn the hard way. :shock:
Evgen
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm

dheco wrote:I am off to buy an air cooled torch, any recommendations? I will not be running much duty cycle, not a production environment. I would like to occasionally weld to the max of the 300DX, Mostly aluminum in my future, I would like fingertip control (at least on / off) since some of my work will not be in ideal positions. I would like a head that can angle yet I do not want it to be real heavy etc.
As I wrote above, you will have to check the temperature of your torch permanently (during weld process), if you don't use a cooler.
Also, bear in mind, that amperage maximum for AC weld(for a torch) is less than for DC weld for any torch. So you have to be more careful with AC weld with an air cooling torch.
This is your choice, if you weld at low amps, and if you don't fear to overheat and spoil your torch, of course.
Last edited by Evgen on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English isn't my native language.

Oscar wrote:I guess some people just have to learn the hard way. :shock:
Some learn quickly...I only burned my hand on my torch and melted off the argon hose 5 or 6 times before I started searching for a cheap tig water pump 8-) :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Yup same here. Just happened to be inspecting my old 1pc power/gas hose on my old Eastwood TIG200, and I was like "Hmmmm why is the hose all cracked near the fitting...". Then I remembered going full-tilt 200A AC when I was practicing on an old cylinder head with smoke coming off the rubber on the torch head, lol.