Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
winston weldall
    Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm

can anyone give their opinion on a Miller Econo Twin HF ?

ive found one for around $300

is this a good unit to learn on?

or am i better off saving money and buying something with more capabilities like pulse and what not?

this machine CANT be set up to use a foot control for varying amperage.. at least not in its stock configuration. right or wrong?

it does have a switch control on the torch i believe for turning on and off the HF mode.

trying to not buy china brands. plus i have some other miller welders and would like to stick with the blue stuff just dont have 1500-3000 to spend at the moment.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

winston weldall wrote:can anyone give their opinion on a Miller Econo Twin HF ?

ive found one for around $300

is this a good unit to learn on?

or am i better off saving money and buying something with more capabilities like pulse and what not?

this machine CANT be set up to use a foot control for varying amperage.. at least not in its stock configuration. right or wrong?

it does have a switch control on the torch i believe for turning on and off the HF mode.

trying to not buy china brands. plus i have some other miller welders and would like to stick with the blue stuff just dont have 1500-3000 to spend at the moment.
What all comes with it??
You should be able to get a pedal to use with it.
Got a pic?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
winston weldall

the torch and leads, argon regulator..

here's a link to the owner's manual. http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o302j_mil.pdf

it seems that there is no place for a foot pedal other than one that controls the HF.

i figured if an amperage control could be made it would have to be a do it yourself type deal
winston weldall

winston weldall

winston weldall

really, for 300 bones i dont think i can go wrong.

this thing is probably indestructible... BUT like i said earlier i just wonder if ill wish that i had saved up and got a fancier one soon after getting this one
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You can't go wrong.

That machine is indestructable, and you can turn around and sell it for every penny you paid for it when/if you wnat to upgrade.

Steve S
winston weldall

that's what i was thinking.
cool thanks!
now, if it's still there by tomorrow evening
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I bought my Econo-Twin HF new back in 1975 and really don't have a reason to change, but I decided I wanted all the bells and whistles of the Dynasty 200DX.

I will probably sell my Econo-Twin, it probably doesn't have much more than 200-300 hours and almost no aluminum welding...It is heavy! I never even hooked up the HF remote switch, just always used scratch start.
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
winston weldall

nice.
i did read where it said almost 200lbs !

it doesnt look that heavy
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

winston weldall wrote:nice.
i did read where it said almost 200lbs !

it doesnt look that heavy
All transformer inside! lots of steel and copper...
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
winston weldall

it was still available so i bought it! the guy even threw in a miller rfcs-14 foot pedal!

does anyone know if its possible to rig a transformer type machine to have a foot pedal amp control?
winston weldall

this machine has a crank handle to change amperage so i think its definitely a NO to being able to add a foot pedal.
AdVirMachina
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm not familiar with this particular model, but it is possible to control a transformer machine with a magnetic amplifier. Lots of higher power stuff uses them.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk