Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Is it just me or do most TIG welders and TIG hobbyist find themselves accumulating torch parts. Perhaps it is in my compulsive nature to have tools for every job that comes in. I find myself collecting little TIG parts and organizing them. :ugeek: Don't get me wrong I enjoy it and love all the little parts that I might only need once a year :roll: was just wondering if others have the TIG collection bug too. :lol:
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi, my name is Matt and I am a tig partaholic. I don't know the last time I turned down a part. :lol: I read this and my wife was reading too and just looked at me. I guess I collect a few.... handfuls. :oops: You never know what you may need.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Yep, seems tig is the only one that caused this compulsion for me - stick and mig don't do anything like this.

Well, to be fair, welding in general is an addiction so I guess I shouldn't be surprised :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Yep, I'm in need of a 12 step program myself. Dave's right too about it just being Tig and not stick or Mig. I've had my Mig welder for a couple years and couldn't tell you what kind of gun is on it or what tips it takes. I have stick rods that are older than most of our membership and my chipping hammer outdates me by a few years. If I only stick welded I would still only own one helmet and one kind of gloves instead of six different kinds of each.

I got three large fishing tackle organizers full of collets and pilots and gas lens and cups for thee different sized torches. A toolbox drawer full of different tungsten, a dedicated bench grinder for sharpening them.

Saying you have a problem is the first step, "I'm Len and I too am a Tig Partsaholic."

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Braehill wrote:Yep, I'm in need of a 12 step program myself. Dave's right too about it just being Tig and not stick or Mig. I've had my Mig welder for a couple years and couldn't tell you what kind of gun is on it or what tips it takes. I have stick rods that are older than most of our membership and my chipping hammer outdates me by a few years. If I only stick welded I would still only own one helmet and one kind of gloves instead of six different kinds of each.

I got three large fishing tackle organizers full of collets and pilots and gas lens and cups for thee different sized torches. A toolbox drawer full of different tungsten, a dedicated bench grinder for sharpening them.

Saying you have a problem is the first step, "I',m Len and I too am a Tig Partsaholic."

Len
Good point, I forgot about the extra gloves and helmets!

Used the same lid for 15-20 years and just any pair of gloves laying around - now I have gloves just for tig aluminum and just for steel - about 5 different lids - 9,17,26 torches - and now have a pump/motor so I can make a tig water cooler!

.....this is a long dark bumpy road... :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

It is a strange thing, I am new to TIG welding but I already feel like a part hoarder. If I can get it, I'll take it.
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.

We also forgot to mention now you have to own not one but two different size Tig fingers. I acually have three, ones made from the Autozone spark plug protectors.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

The worst part is, I'm sitting here invisioning the movie 'Coboys Vs. Alliens" with all us Tig welders staring at the light and handing out our credit card while we're in a transe. I think we're getting brainwashed from watching the puddle by CK and Weldcraft.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
dirtmidget33

mcoe wrote:Hi, my name is Matt and I am a tig partaholic. I don't know the last time I turned down a part. :lol: I read this and my wife was reading too and just looked at me. I guess I collect a few.... handfuls. :oops: You never know what you may need.
I like the TIG partaholic that's great. :lol:

The worst part about this is after I started this thread I was browsing for some other TIG toys which of course I ordered :oops: after all I added another plastic box to my welding rig the other day and of course there is an empty hole that is just begging to be filled :)

I agree that mig and stick doesn't have the appeal to collect stuff. I had my mig forever and only ever got tips when I needed them never had any fancy cool toys to add to like TIG.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.

I use to just drape my mig gun over the corner of my welding table when I was done and never cared about having something to hold the gun. Now that I have the tig welder the first thing I did was make my own magnetic tig torch holder so I didn't have to drape the torch over something and take the chance of it falling and breaking the back cap. I have all kinds of cool toys for my tig machine.
Matt
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

yup tell me about it. Have tons of collets/collet bodies,cups in normal, stubby, pyrex, even one with custom made screens, lol. Have about 10 tig torches--standard, flex long neck, micro, roto-head, three sets of CK water cooled cables, etc
dirtmidget33

Fellow TIG partaholics watch out for pictures posted by Oscar they can lead to drooling and opening ones wallet to gather more valuable and important parts we need. :lol: Just joking he posted some cool items that worked out great. Thanks Oscar Happy Collecting
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

i been welding a while but kinda new to tig. i've been a pack rat long before i ever thought of taking up heli-arc and just found some long forgotten sylvania tungsten. so i guess i got the collecting bug as well.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I still use the basics as prescribed by The Hobart School of Welding. That's all that is in my personal parts drawer.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
dirtmidget33

:cry: sad day for collecting parts. I live in a rural area so LWS doesn't have much on shelves, however they are branch of a very very large supplier. I was going to town where the headquarters is. The warehouse area is huge large tanks outside rows and rows of tanks being filled semi trucks being loaded with tanks and fillers plus a store front :D . . . . . :cry: :cry: thought they would have a decent storefront with machines, regulators ,TIG parts, helmets,. . . . . nope storefront wasn't much bigger than my local one and didn't have much on display. As for TIG parts they have to order them from CK also don't stock much.
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am addicted to weldingcity.com because they are cheap and good parts. I had to replace my torch head on my 26 torch so I changed it from rigid to flex head.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Matt
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

Hi. I'm RocketSurgeon and I'm a TIG partsaholic. It's been 3 days since I bought/ordered parts.

(60+ parts for my 26 torch.)
Attachments
TIG-401B_zpsbc788eda.jpg
TIG-401B_zpsbc788eda.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

mcoe wrote:I am addicted to weldingcity.com because they are cheap and good parts. I had to replace my torch head on my 26 torch so I changed it from rigid to flex head.
The teflon insulator is on the wrong end of your torch head (or so it seems) :)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

RocketSurgeon wrote:Hi. I'm RocketSurgeon and I'm a TIG partsaholic. It's been 3 days since I bought/ordered parts.

(60+ parts for my 26 torch.)
:shock: Holy Cow! LWS is lickin their chops when they see you pull in the lot :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

"Say, man. You got any tugsten? Help a welder out, brother. What about a cup, dig? I'll even take a collet."
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
dirtmidget33

Rocketsurgeon let us know how riverweld stuff is. I have been tempted to buy a couple of there sets cause price is so cheap. I however worry about them not being up to my standards. I keep CK stuff on hand and buy a lot of stuff from HTP, the stuff I have gotten from them is CK except for stubby lens. Those are not marked.

I will. A parts fiend is never alone in their addiction. :lol:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I bought some river weld gas lenses. Then promptly stopped using the tig. :-( I should get back into it soon.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I've been using River weld for a while now, but only with my 9 torch.

Collets are very soft, and they split them in three slots. After re-tightening they have bulged so much the argon wouldnt flow.
Gas cups, ok havent melted or cracked any.

Gas lenses, no issues.
Took a picture of the first weld I did with their lens, cant complain on coverage. Hot galved water pipe.
IMG166.jpg
IMG166.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

AndersK,

I see you have a TIG finger. A well used one at that.

A TIG partsaholic gets their "fix" any way they can. :lol:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1