Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I am having trouble with my tungstens. I have 3/32, 2% Lanth tungstens from Welding City.com and once I use them down to about 3" they start balling up on the end. I don't dip the tungsten, don't jab it with the filler, and am running DCEN on steel. The metal has been prepped with a sanding wheel. I have never had trouble with them until the 3" from the band down. Any clue?
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I have tungstens from there as well, but I don't have any worn down to the lengths as yours.

How are your 2% Thoriated tungstens behaving? (for comparison). If other tungstens are doing the same thing, it might be the machine.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

That's weird. I use the 2% Lanthanated from them also but have had no issues.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Matt,
Cut one back maybe a 1/4" and see if it still balls up. It might just be a spot in the tungsten that is lacking the Lanthium, you may have a small section that's pure. All tungsten are a mix of pure and other rare earth elements and some manufacturers' quality standards aren't quite up to snuff. That's about the only thing tungsten related that I can think of.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

I had the same trouble with the same electrodes from the same place when I first got them. Switched to another from the same pack and the problem went away. I figure I had a bad one. Still don't know what was going on and have lost track of the "bad one". :?

It has me confused. I switched to a different electrode from the pack and it is doing the same thing. My 1/16" don't do it. I am running around 120 amps on clean steel. I did weld something the other day that had a little rust on it and it balled up after that. I am going to check one other thing. My gas lens has some spots on it and it may be a gas issue. It is kinda acting like not enough shield gas.
Matt
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

/\/\/\ That was my next guess.
Cricket
    Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Did this tungsten ever work normally? May be it is a package of defective\fake tungstens?

All the tungstens worked fine until the last 3". It was half 3/32 and half 1/16 and they all worked fine. I just did an experiment and after 4, 1/2" long beads on clean metal and it balled right up.
Matt