Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Austin.James
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:04 pm

I am using a Century 110 DC buzz box. My tungsten electrodes keep burning. As far as I know I am getting plenty of shielding gas, and not running to hot. Any reason why it would be zapping my electrodes? Also, the beads are super dirty. Black and orange. I know it sounds like im not getting enough gas, but is there any other reason why it would be doing this?

Thanks! I appreciate the help..
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

DC pos or neg? Cleaning the weld surface would help. I have been having trouble with tungstens burning up when I weld horseshoes together because they are porous and hold dirt very bad. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Austin. Need more information

What material are you welding?

What polarity are you using?

What size electrode (and type), and what current?

Also, 'cause the flow regulator shows you a value doesn't mean that gets to the torch. If you have a leak in the system anywhere, you'll be getting less at the torch itself. Specifically, I've seen bad 'O' Rings cause this problem, but more recently found a small split in the Argon hose between the regulator and the machine.

There's a flow device like this that shows exactly what you get at the torch:
Attachments
GasFlowMeter.png
GasFlowMeter.png (429.03 KiB) Viewed 858 times
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

My first thought would be not pure argon, but that's just me. As TrackRanger said, we need more infos
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Polarity Backwards.
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Try swapping out ur gas lens or collet body
Austin.James
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:04 pm

TRACKRANGER wrote:Hi Austin. Need more information

What material are you welding?

What polarity are you using?

What size electrode (and type), and what current?

Also, 'cause the flow regulator shows you a value doesn't mean that gets to the torch. If you have a leak in the system anywhere, you'll be getting less at the torch itself. Specifically, I've seen bad 'O' Rings cause this problem, but more recently found a small split in the Argon hose between the regulator and the machine.

There's a flow device like this that shows exactly what you get at the torch:
I'm using a 1/8" 1.5 Percent Lanthanated Tungsten. Not sure what current. But I have tried alllll kinds of different power levels. I am using straight polarity. (Torch on -, ground clamp on +).
I am welding on a cleaned piece of steel about a half inch thick. Just trying to run some beads. And I KNOW that im getting ALOT of argon, because I can crank the flow waaaayy up and I can feel it blasting out my gas lens. And I have tried a couple different lenses. They are fine. My thought is that Im not using pure argon. But I JUST got a new bottle.. Thoughts? Has anybody ever just gotten a bad bottle?
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

OK, you really need to tell us the flow and the current.

If you have the gas flow set too high, you not only waste gas, you can cause turbulence that can allow air to mix with your gas, providing oxidation.

Also, keep your stick-out to a minimum (say 1/4"). How much stick out have you used?

We really need to know the current. If you don't know the current, what are the settings you've used from the front panel of the machine? Surely that gives you some values you could provide?

Rather than saying you're getting a lot of argon, why can't you tell us what the flow-meter shows?

What is the shape of the electrode when it burns, is it rounded on the end, does it fracture, does it just waste away along its length?

Are there any photos available of the damaged electrodes and the actual weld?
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Any discoloration on ur electrode? An im sure u checked for leaks but i had a torch leak under the handle where it connects to the lead...an it was the very last thing i checked. It's been said but yeah too much gas is just as bad as too little