Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Oscar wrote:
I checked out those collet bodies on Google. Turns out they they are made so you can use the 24-series alumina cups, which are limited to #3-6 only, as I have yet to find a #8 for my 24 torch. Pretty cool none the less.
Oscar,
I just found a larger Alumina cup for a 24 torch. Kind of a wierd dimension .4635" Think they measured outside lip and opening is 7/16
Alumina cup part number is PSNS2AG75
Gas lens part number is PSNSG332
Do not know if they make other size lens for different tungsten to work with this cup sure they do would prolly have to call CK here is a link to the pdf with pics of lens and cup
http://www.ckworldwide.com/Form%20457.pdf
Here is link for CK catalog
http://www.ckworldwide.com/Catalog.pdf

I need job at CK to play with all this stuff and get paid for it, going to each LWS and showing the counter guys this stuff. Seems very few LWS know anything about the little odds and ends out there in the Tiggy world.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks for the excellent investigative work! Gonna get in contact with my CK dealer rep @ HTP and see what can be done ASAP! Even though I have nothing to weld right now! :)
dirtmidget33

Oscar wrote:Thanks for the excellent investigative work! Gonna get in contact with my CK dealer rep @ HTP and see what can be done ASAP! Even though I have nothing to weld right now! :)
Your welcome. Glad I'm not the only one that calls HTP looking for wierd CK stuff was afraid I was only one. If you get some of this new stuff post pics please hope it works out for you.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

How much shorter do you guys want these? Just brings the heat closer to your hand.
Why not try a 24 kit with 9/20 gas lens?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Tig-Torch-Bo ... 27e8617c4f

And 24 gas lens stuff is not cheap either.

But to confirm, yes the 24 collet bodies will thread onto a 9/20 torch. I just tried it, but I don't have any 24 gas lens stuff to try. Just standard configuration.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I don't understand why you would need a gas lens in a torch that small. The gas is only flowing about 1/4" before it's out of the torch, and if your working in that tight of a space your stick out will be minimal.

I've used 24 parts with a reverse collet in a 20 torch with the short cups with regular pilots and they do just fine. I don't see why every job needs a gas lens. Most times while welding Aluminum I use standard pilots with a #8 cup and I get more than plenty gas coverage. If your welding stainless or nickel alloys, then it makes sense to me.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I think this post should have been added to the one about Tig welding leads to collecting parts that we had awhile back.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm with you. I have been using a standard setup and number 7 or 8 cup (on aluminum) for a long time. I just put a gas lens in
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Braehill wrote:I don't understand why you would need a gas lens in a torch that small. The gas is only flowing about 1/4" before it's out of the torch, and if your working in that tight of a space your stick out will be minimal.

I've used 24 parts with a reverse collet in a 20 torch with the short cups with regular pilots and they do just fine. I don't see why every job needs a gas lens. Most times while welding Aluminum I use standard pilots with a #8 cup and I get more than plenty gas coverage. If your welding stainless or nickel alloys, then it makes sense to me.

Len
Gas Lense
Cost of gas, can cut flow by 30-50%. . gas flow turbulent/laminer can affect the shape of arc and weld appearance

and some welders can do all with a blow torch and a coat hanger
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

I'm not and didn't say that there's no place for gas lens. What I will say is when your flow meter says 15 cfh , that's what is coming out of the torch, so where's the 30 to 50% gas savings coming from?

Yes in my youth I did learn to weld with a torch and a coat hanger, but that's beside the point. I'm guilty as anybody for collecting Tig parts, I have a 30 year head start.

I'm just thinking we're looking for something here that's just not worth all the effort . That's just my opinion and if you feel you need them, by all means search away.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Braehill wrote:I'm not and didn't say that there's no place for gas lens. What I will say is when your flow meter says 15 cfh , that's what is coming out of the torch, so where's the 30 to 50% gas savings coming from?
With absolutely zero draft, I sometimes drop down to below 8 CFH using a #7 or #8 cup on a gas lens. Obviously not always the case, but the advantage can be taken advantage of. :)

So I guess it's a no-go with my usual CK distributor for these obscure parts. I might order them individually, we'll see. Lord knows I have enough Tig torch parts.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

The general advice at the LWS when getting started is 18-20 cfh (ferrous) 24-28 and more for Alum etc. When I finally discovered gas lens I read everything I could and questiond all the experienced people using them. Purchased my first from LWS, who had never heard of them, Had to show him a catalog and watch him shake his head.

Like Oscar says a little experimenting no draft big tungsten stick out and 8-10 cfh.
cost of gas and ease of seeing arc were my reward.

Will it work for every one? NO
And not all Alumina cups are equal even if they have the same #'s on them.

Braehill you are right there wouldn't be any savings if one did not take advantage of the laminer flow and reduce/adjust the cfh setting for the job at hand.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
dirtmidget33

Adam Mc Laughlin wrote:Hi Everyone

Does anyone here know where I can get a stubby gas lense kit for my smaller CK torches? Like series 2 torches - where can I get a gas lense kit for these?

I really like the stubby gas lense kit for the series 3 torches, where is the stubby gas lense kit for the series 2 torches?

Adam
Well originally he asked about a stubby gas kit for the 9 torch which most agreed and even I thought didn't exist, and what he was really looking for was the standard 9 gas lens only called stubby when used on 17/26. However there is indeed a stubby gas lens available for a 9/20 using 24 parts is it needed ahhhh prolly not. However if you want the ability to adjust tungsten with the back cap like we are used to and not have little useless pieces of tungsten laying around, but want the front end parts of a 24 with the benefit of a lens well they are out there. Me personally I could see using this small gas lens with the 24's long nozzles to get in tight areas of tubing joints but still using a lens. I uses lens for everything the cost of CK lens are not that much more than standard. If happen to screw a lens up with aluminum splatter or something while welding on something for someone just add charge for lens on bill.

BESIDES WE ALL NEED MORE TIG PARTS :D :lol:

:roll: :| = wife's thoughts