Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Dragster Guy
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:19 am

Hi guys i have a small S.S job coming up its 12 gauge pipe welding thick flanges on 6-8-10 inch pipe? im thinking i will use 3/32 red tungsten. im guessing 1/8 wire? Any help is appreciated.
Performance Metal Works
Pasadena MD
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

3/32 tungsten will be fine, 3/32" filler would work as well. I'm assume fillets since you mentioned the flanges. What is the fillet size spec? What's the use of the end product? What type of stainless?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

3/32 red will be fine, unless you really plan to rock-n-roll at above 160A or so.

Personally, for heavy to light material, I'd choose 3/32 filler, as well, and do two passes, but that's a blind man's preference that allows me a clearer view of the root closure. 1/8" will do fine, especially if that's what you're comfortable with.

Steve S
Dragster Guy
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks for the info it been a few years since i have welded S.S pipe. Yes its a filet weld not sure of the spec yet of if there even is one. its an exhaust duct. 304 ss
Performance Metal Works
Pasadena MD