Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
robert
    Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 am

hello all. i have been a stick welder on pipeline and plant code work for about 4 years. i was ask to learn how to tig weld for a lot of upcoming jobs . i run a miller 302 trailblazer . and i keep haveing alot of penatration issues on my root pass. i have tried 3/32 and 1/8 electrodes more heat less heat , more gap less gap . i just dont really have someone to turn to for tips.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Welcome Robert you're in the right place for answers. We do need a bit more information from you though to help.
Like they say,"a picture is worth a thousand words"...
What size and gauge pipe are you learning on?
AC or DC?
Where are you setting the amps?
What electrode and filler rod are you using?
It can be frustrating at times but hang in there, we'll get it figured out.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

coldman
  • coldman

Also let us know prep info - vee angle, gap, land, method etc. please.
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Hey man, where are you located?
Some pictures are worth a ton of words, amperage will depend on comfort level and experience I think. With Tig I like zero land and a gap smaller than my filler wire, but not by much. Or a gap about the same size as the filler is also acceptable. When I was learning to tig a root I would try something, then stop and look at the results and then try something else and repeat until I had something that worked for me. break down the walls and don't put grapes in your root!
robert
    Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 am

sorry for takeing so long to get back to use guys . had a busy week. im a portable welder , work off the bed of my truck i run my machine on dc ,i have ran my amps on 90- 110 for the root pass. i have tried 4-8 sch 40 carbon pipe. oh and im in cali. i have only had 1/8 electrodes for the time being . i used both 3/32 and 1/8 filler rod

pics will be up soon. thank you for taking the time to read my post and share your toughts