Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Hi, Good Evening Everyone

Two questions:

A:
I will be welding up some steering components for a friend Jeep this weekend. What kind of filler rod should I get for connecting the 1-1/2" x .25" wall DOM to the Heim Joint inserts?

B:
What is the deal with the reverse collets and the wedge colletts that CK sells? Which one of these is preferable for every day jobs?

Typically.. I use the 3/32 tungsten and a #6 cup. Gas lenses all of the way. Series 2 torches or stubbys on the series 3 torches. I usually use SS 309 filler rod for both stainless and mild steel, which is about 90% of my work.

Any suggestions? I too have been bit by the ' lets collect TIG torch bits ' bug, so stocking the fishing tackle box has become my latest hobby. :o)

Thanks in advance,

Adam
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

As far as collets get the wedge collets. They will last you forever! Reverse collets are for specific needs. I did a mess of posts not that long ago on weird combinations using reverse collets. In all honestly wedge collet with gas lens is best way to go unless you wanna collect stuff for fun :oops: guilty of that one
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

The wedge collets have no split, therefore nothing to 'wear out' due to the fact that they are solid brass. They tighten on the principle that upon twisting the back cap, you'll force one side in farther than the other due to the offset chamfer, and it will actually 'wedge' into the back of the collet body, creating a positive lock on the tungsten. It helps when removing the tungsten to push in a little to unseat the collet, and then slip it out.

In regards to the rod end inserts, we're talking about the threaded inserts correct? If they are mild steel, you could use ER70s2 or s6, but as far as tensile strength 309 would be fine as far as I know, but its more suited to welding steel to stainless or dissimilar stainless alloys to one another. I personally would use ER70s2 but that's just me. I also have 304-347 stainless filler wire (all of the common varieties in between the two listed) but as I said, ER70s2 would be my first choice.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, Adam,

E70 rod will be perfect for that application. the -s2 to -s6 makes very little difference as long as you've cleaned the joints well.

Beware of higher-strength steels. E80 sill also be fine, but don't go above that, or your weld becomes the hardest part of the system and a potential point for cracking.

Steve S
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Wow! I wasn't expecting this kind of turn out.
We have a great group here, plenty of informative, quick responses to a questions from a noob.

Yes, I am making a replacement tie rod for a friend's Jeep. We have some 1-1/2" DOM at .25" wall, and wanted to slide some threaded rod couplings for the 7/8" Heim Joints into the tube and then weave the threaded rod couplings into the DOM tube.
What would you all use in terms of Tungsten sizes and filler rod sizes for this?

I did receive some of my CK industries bits this week, still waiting on another order. I use gas lenses exclusively for the SS work that I do, and I find that I really like the series 2 stuff, and the stubby materials for my series 3 torch heads. ( seem to be the same thing )

The wedge collets are pretty trick!
While I am shopping for accessories and bits, is there anything that everyone really enjoys and would recommend that I add to the basket?
Let me know!

Adam
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Adam,

3/32" tungsten and filler both will be fine, though almost any combination you can imagine will work fine as well, as long as you are comfortable with it.

One trick I've seen with Heim-joint inserts, just as insurance, is to through-drill the DOM tube about half-way the depth of the Heim insert and plug-welding.

Steve S
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Just out of curiosity, is the Jeep trail only?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk