Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this welder? I've done some tig welding but I'm 10 years rusty. Even though this is a DC only machine it is one I can afford on retirement income and get going again. I'd love to have the 250EX but I want to get this project going this winter. Same with AC/DC, just too expensive.
I have some airframe repairs to do, mostly light gage 4130 tubing (.035" to .065" wall) but there could be some thicker up to .125"
For the lighter gage stuff will the 110 volt capability be worthwhile?
Is the cheapest Everlast pedal worthwhile or should I hold out for the more expensive one?
Is a 40 cu.ft. bottle going to have me running to the gas shop every week, assuming 2 to 10 clusters a day?
Any other things I should be thinking about?

Thanks,
Rick
Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it
-Andre Gide
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

I have the itig T, the digital one. It goes down to a little lower amps if i recall and pulses higher, but for the thickness you list it should be fine.

Even for 1/8", you could save even more money and go with a smaller unit. 200 on steel is a lot. Aluminum not so much.

Everlast sells an upgrade package, but I would get the flex head torch from ck for tubing work. It's all i use on tube and i love it. They might offer it as an upgrade as well but i'd shop around. I paid for an upgraded pedal as well or so i was told but who knows. Their website and amazon ads and sales staff leave a lot to be desired as far as information on accessories. The upgraded pedal is ok. I'd probably go with a low profile one in the future.

I'm completely satisfied with my unit but i have nothing to base it on. I've used it on 1" 0.065" wall tube and 1/8" plate. No complaints. I'd love to try a dynasty for comparison.

I have a 55 cf and a 125 cf bottle. That way i never run out on the weekend. How long it lasts depends on how much you weld so its hard to say.

Don't forget, figure probably several hundreds to thousands in supplies and accessories!! Tungsten, sharpener, filler, metal, torch, pedal, gloves, tank, gas, brushes, cleaner, clamps, etc.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Rick,
As to how long a 40 cf tank lasts, just do the math. minimum of around 8 cfh to probably 10-15 on tubing. If you could use all 40 cf you are going to be able to weld 3-4 hours but you can only run down to about 50# gas pressure so you don't get all forty, so figure 3 hours.

I don't have first hand knowledge on the model you mentioned but I bought my son the 250EX and got the upgraded pedal and it's definitely worth it. I use a SSC pedal on my machine and love it, so check their prices to compare.

I had them upgrade to a #20 water cooled torch also but you shouldn't need that for light gauge steel. I think it comes with a 26 torch and they are too big for my liking so I would ask for a 17 if it were me. I use the CK Flex-loc almost exclusively but I don't think it's an option from Everlast but you can check.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Rick as this is your first post I will welcome you to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Rick Welcome.you will find a lot of info to help.

Welders when not welding are helping,when not helping there is a tendency to BS
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll try not to wear it out by asking a lot of dumb questions, unless I find that someone hasn't asked that particular dumb question before. ;)

Rick
Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it
-Andre Gide
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

The only dumb question is the one not ask. We all like questions, it keeps it interesting and that is the reason for a forum.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt