Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hotspanner39
    Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:46 am

Hi,When tig welding stainless, can anyone give any advice on preventing "Coking" on the back of the weld apart from back purging?
Thanks in advance..
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

By coking I am assuming you mean sugaring. Since purging can be somewhat of a pain at times when I can I'll put a piece of aluminum on the back side of the joint to protect it from the atmosphere.
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Only thing that regularly crops up as an alternative to back purge is " Solar Flux Type B " - it seems it's not badly priced stateside though is expensive here - maybe worth a try - obviously you need to be able to apply it to the relevant part prior to welding - don't know if this is practical for your application - it's on Ebay if you can't find it locally.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I seen an Aluminum tape that was made for backing up welds on stainless but I don't remember what the name brand was or where I saw it. Sorry, memory is the first thing to go.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I was wanting to buy some of that aluminum tape too...That's what I've seen mostly as a go to instead of back purge. But it is stupid expensive! It's basically a strip of aluminum with an adhesive on the outside edges only....I saw a 75ft roll and asked how much it was...They said 75$ for a 25' roll so there for 75' yeah I ain't got the bank roll like that right now...I wonder if you could use just aluminum foil or something??? Idk how you'd get it to stick tho I'm sure it'd have to be some kind of special adhesive to not burn all to hell. I now I'd like to figure something out too, but I don't do enough stainless projects in my garage to justify paying 200 bucks on freaking rolled aluminum foil with glue on the edges
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Picture would help a lot ;)

Flux is a good choice sometimes. Better than tape, but it's not same as purging at all. It all depends what your product need to stand. If it goes to corrosive environment then good back purge is a necessity!
-Markus-
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Try a google search on "foil HVAC tape", or check out this link at Home Deep: aluminum, $4 for about 10 yards. Would this do the trick?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape- ... ifications

I recall one of Jody's videos featured a tape that was sticky only on the edges to avoid getting glue caught up in the weld.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

If the HVAC tape is 2" wide, you could fold a peice in half and run the folded peice down the middle of another peice so you would have 1/2" exposed on each side to make it stick. The glue would be contained in the fold and you could leave an air gap in the middle behind the weld to trap the Argon. Haven't tried it but I think it would work and at the price it would be worth a try.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Depending how close your weld is to the adhesive, this can sometimes be useful, also if you use in conjunction with heavy aluminum kitchen foil to make a gas dam.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 115&rt=rud
hotspanner39
    Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:46 am

Thanks very much chaps, some interesting tips there, I'll have to have a dabble :)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

There is product called TGX which is fluxcored tig wire. Its made for finishing piping systems that cannot have the last weld purged. Its a serious product, expensive, but it would be handy to have a bit around for the odd job.

Mick
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Make a purge plate and weld it reverse travel, so that the gas drenches the puddle until it's frozen and beyond.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.