Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I just ordered a Miller Dynasty 280DX package after a good bit of research. I'd like to hear some of y'all's thoughts. Have I made a mistake? thanks.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Here's a thread for you.

Lots of dynasty info...

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?33 ... ynasty+280

Hope you like the machine!!!
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Aww man I'm jealous!!! That's in my opinion the best tig/stick welder you can get!!! So jealous...My last job I got to use a Dynasty 350dx with the water cooler/cart....Man that was one awesome machine!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

I've had mine for about a week. You are going to be thrilled. I am still working at getting the arc dialed in for my style, but I still can't get over how smooth it is and how nice the arc starts are. I really really really like the triangular wave for aluminum tubing. And the high speed pulse on steel is so nice. Hit me up if you have any questions.

ImageTodd P by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

ImageRebecca Z by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

Those beads look awesome. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve! It's hard to wait :D

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Zank,

I notice you're picturing welds by two different people?

Sweet, regardless, but the credits list two...

Todd P. and Rebecca Z.

Steve S

Hi Steve,
Those are the customer names. I work alone. Some days I wish there were people around though!
Mike

zank wrote:Hi Steve,
Those are the customer names. I work alone. Some days I wish there were people around though!
Mike
Ahh, that makes sense. When I saw "Rebecca Z." I wondered if that were Mrs. Zanconado... (Not many surnames start with "Z".)

Personally, I prefer to work alone.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

You're gonna love it! It took me a while to figure out the complicated controls, It lacks the raw horsepower of the old Dialarc 250 HF (310 amps on AC), but the qualities of the arc are incredible! The one big surprise was the noise of the AC weld!
johnnyg
    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

Great beads and awesome machine! Just curious, have you turned the machine to 400Hz? I only ask because we had a customer buy one and 400Hz blows his board every time (3 replaced). Miller acknowledges there may be a problem. Just curious what your experience is.

Thanks

I haven't yet. Now I won't. :lol:
johnnyg
    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

Ha Ha yeah... I debated even if i should post anything but i get customers asking about it and I'm not sure what others' experiences are. Glad to know you like yours.
Bill Beauregard

Jody says the value tapers down to nothing at about 200 HZ. Without ear plugs 200 Hz is life altering! I would function quite well with frequency fixed at 180 HZ.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Hope I don't get too much criticism for this, not trying to hyjack... I just ordered the Everlast 325ext....my dynasty 200 was taken away by a ex-business partner. I'm excited because of welding so much 1/4 aluminum with the d200 was a pain. Never would heat it all the way on bigger pieces without a torch pre-heat.

So the 325ext is considered a 350amp machine, . And specs say 500hz pulse and 250hz AC.... At only $2500 for the welder... And I found a cooler for $360! Hope I'm not disappointed. Anyone have one?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

If highjacking got you in big trouble around here we wouldn't have any regular contributers.

I bought my son the 250EX and I thought the water cooler from Everlast was less than that, though I don't know if it's large enough for a 350 amp machine.

Is the 325EXT single/three phase or is it only 3 phase? I was checking out their site awhile ago and they only listed 3 phase for their bigger welders. I thought someone said that they were going to start offering the 325EXT in a single/three phase option.

No real complaints with the 250EX so far except the cheap flow meter that came with it blew the diaphram the other day and had to be replaced. It was free with the package so what can you expect.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

It's the new single pH 230v version they are rolling out this week.. Just happen to call the factory or I would have bought a 3ph unit that was listed as single phase on Amazon.

I knew I wanted digital from using the dynasty so much... It comes with 3 cheap tourches... But for what it is for what it costs I'm excited!
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

OH NOW I SEE! The reason I can't weld is I've been using the wrong machine. ;) ;) ;)

No but seriously, Once I step up to AC/DC tig, the dynasty 280 would be on the short, short list.

zank wrote:I've had mine for about a week. You are going to be thrilled. I am still working at getting the arc dialed in for my style, but I still can't get over how smooth it is and how nice the arc starts are. I really really really like the triangular wave for aluminum tubing. And the high speed pulse on steel is so nice. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Bill Beauregard

Mine arrived some time before the cooler. I couldn't stand it! I found it easy to connect sink water to it. I lacked the right hose for the drain, so I ran into a bucket. I was surprised at how little water it consumed. As it turned out I might have chosen to not buy the cooler at all if it weren't already in shipment.

Well my machine arrived but i need to upgrade my shop wiring to take full advantage..The 280 needs a 40 amp service to it if, like me, you only have single phase power. I only have 20 amp plugs right now so I gotta get 8 gauge run from the breaker box and a suitable outlet and plug. Once that is completed and I have a little seat time I'll post my impressions.

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Consider running 50A or 60A service if the cost isn't much more. It'll support a wider range of tools, like a plasma cutter.

FWIW,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!

RichardH wrote:Consider running 50A or 60A service if the cost isn't much more. It'll support a wider range of tools, like a plasma cutter.

FWIW,
Richard
Good suggestion!

If your wire run isn't really long (and your "8ga." comment suggests that), the buy-up for installing 50A, or even 60A, is a quite small percentage over the installation of 40A, and as was just said, gives you more options for future equipment.

Steve S

Yeah it's a short run from the panel. I've got a 50 amp rated outlet and plug. Thanks for the feedback :idea:

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

xwrench wrote:Yeah it's a short run from the panel. I've got a 50 amp rated outlet and plug. Thanks for the feedback :idea:
Since I did not know what I was going to grow into I just ran a 100amp 240 single phase to the garage.
Right now there is a Miller dialarc 300HF on it.

Basically put in the biggest circuit you can afford that will eliminate that as a need in the future for what ever hardware you decide to run on the outlet.

You could also take one branch and have yourself another 110 4 gang box off to the side for additional capacity.

Just my .02

Ran a new line of #2 cable to my shop breaker panel. Then 8 gauge to 50 amp outlet for my welder. can easily run for more if needed later.

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150

xwrench wrote:Ran a new line of #2 cable to my shop breaker panel. Then 8 gauge to 50 amp outlet for my welder. can easily run for more if needed later.
Well done!

You can power some serious stuff on that, without playing "musical outlets."

You'll appreciate this sooner than you know, if the welding bug has truly bit you.

Steve S