Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I am getting ready to take a 2" SCH80 pipe test(carbon & stainless) can I get some advice & how many amps I should have for welding both of the alloys? Thanks in advance
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I did a search on videos, came up with this:
http://welding-tv.com/?s=pipe

There are a number of pipe test videos available. How soon is your test, and how are you preparing for it?

Good luck on it!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

3/32" tung, 3/32"-1/8" gap, 3/32"-1/8" filler, I like 4 small tacks, feather if needed or allowed, clean with a brush between passes and let it cool between passes till you van almost touch it.

80-85 root, 95 hot, 105 cover...

They should give you a wps if this is to any standard.

Don't forget to breathe and have fun!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
chadmh91

I thought when welding stainless the amps had to be lower than welding carbon steel
Rick_H

chadmh91 wrote:I thought when welding stainless the amps had to be lower than welding carbon steel
You may find your 10% lower on stainless...I use those settings all the time on both and pass xray...are you walking the cup or looking for a key hole and dabbing?

Travel speed and expierence will alter settings. If this is for a test/cert the wps will tell you a range.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
chadmh91

Its pretty hard to walk the cup on 2" pipe so I will probably dab it for both
Rick_H

True..but its a good skill. During the prep for me ASME IX cert they requires we walk on 2" pipe, it does help you learn to control torch angle.

However in he real work I typically only walk on 4"+ diameter.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB