Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

Have any of you tried these flux coated TIG rods for SS? Supposedly you don't need a back purge as the flow produces a slag that protects the backside of the weld.

http://www.cor-met.com/12-2013%20additi ... coated.pdf
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I know professional pipe welders who use/have used similar products. (Those were flux cored). Very useful for hard to purge products or piping systems that cannot be purged. (The last weld of a sealed system)

Not sure how it goes on flat stuff, (probably similar I guess)

On a side note, Avesta polarit have a range of ass stick electrodes specially designed to replace tig on less critical applications, as the slag protects the back side.

Mick
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

How does the slag get to the backside? I haven't made any open root stick welding so just being curious

Any slag bearing process the slag will flow under the open underside of the root, providing there is a suitable gap, but hopefully not between the bead and the metal.

Mick
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I see, so its all about surface tension then. Too high and the slag wont go under, too low and it will drip off.
thanks for the lesson ;)
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I guess you'd have to do it close to a flange or something so you could clean that slag out. I saw these to the other day an wondered if they'd work well...Then I remembered that the slag would be trapped in the pipe, and that would really limit it's uses I'd imagine???

If you had a flange, you could purge. We are not tackling a huge a mount of slag. And would be allowed for washing in hydro testing. Just like a lot of other piping systems.