Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Got a wheel I was looking for delivered but the great people at the post office broke the wheel.

Trying to determine what is the best means to repair something like this, since it is not going to be structural thinking I will braze it but whats a better choice silicon or AL bronze or is there a better choice that works at a lower temperature.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jesus H...

I think I'd go with silver solder. It's clearly not going back in to service, except perhaps in re-enactment.

Steve S
DSM8

Otto Nobedder wrote:Jesus H...

I think I'd go with silver solder. It's clearly not going back in to service, except perhaps in re-enactment.

Steve S
What would be a recommended source for silver solder and the necessary flux I assume would be necessary to utilize?
DSM8

Got my hands on some flux and silver solder going to give that a shot tonight and see how it works on this break.

Gonna use Map gas instead of the tig to try and keep the heat footprint low as possible.
DSM8

Well apparently I don't have the torch necessary to get the material hot enough to solder so I tried silicon brazing instead.
It is going to take a long time to complete since I am basically tack welding the pieces to avoid too much heat input from the tig.
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

I just had a very similar project to this. It was an cast iron arm that opens an oven door at my local bakery. They estimated the ovens age at about 100 years old. My welding procedure was tig weld dc-, around 75-90 amps(used foot pedal), preheat to a minimum of 300*. The preheat and post heat is key. I used a 3/32 nickel stick electrode and removed the coating with a wire wheel for filler. It turned out perfect I wish I had got some pictures. By using this method you can grind the weld down and you would never notice a repair unlike the shinny gold of albr.