Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Does it make sense for a heat sink to do double-duty as a purge block? The shapes seem to be common - a chunk of material with relief behind the weld joint. If you've got the means, why not drill out a path for purge gas too?

I'm sure it's not a new idea, I've just not seen it done. Or are purge blocks too expensive to use as general-purpose heat sinks?
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Yep last place I worked, everything was this and we had finished flanges etc that could t move. For jobs we ran a lot we designed and built all kinds of combo sinks/gas blocks.

This is one of the reasons I've become interested in machining, to make some for home amongst other personnel projects
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I've made some irregular shapes for projects now they are double duty, general purpose pieces...work fine. I just clean them well.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

PRLMotorsports has a package they sell for doing manifolds that doubles as a head flange heat sink/runner purge block, in addition to VBAND blocks that accomplish the same function.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-